The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to cycle this 10 gallon, planted tank, and this betta has been through a lot -- he's my first fish, and I didn't have any clue what to do for him when I got him from big box store.
Petal Botany Flower Marine biology Terrestrial plant

Anyway, this white bit started out as a little dot and has spread to a thick stripe in the past few months. It hasn't gotten bigger in the past few weeks, and he doesn't seem bothered by it. It's not fuzzy, but it is a bit raised.

LFS owner thought it could be a fungus and suggested sulfaplex since it probably wouldn't hurt my BB since I was still trying to establish my cycle. Anyway, been having trouble getting that tank cycled, so she said to hold off on meds until that was established. I've since upgraded him from 5.5 gallon to a 10, which is also still yet to cycle. Long story short, he hasn't had meds in a while and has been under a little stress, and I'm worried it's getting worse.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Could just be the fish's natural coloration. Some bettas change collor throughout their lives.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That definitely is not a natural color change. That fish is definitely sick.

You said he hasn't had medication in a while, so does that mean he had been medicated? If so, with what and for how long? Was it the sulfaplex? (It's not clear from your first post.) What was the result?

You're really choosing between two not-so-great options right now: Keep him as-is with no medication in an uncycled tank, which is already harming him, or, medicating him in an uncycled tank and possibly slowing the cycling process. (Personally, I don't know anything about medication slowing down cycles but I've never looked into it.)

I vote for medicating him. Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That definitely is not a natural color change. That fish is definitely sick.

You said he hasn't had medication in a while, so does that mean he had been medicated? If so, with what and for how long? Was it the sulfaplex? (It's not clear from your first post.) What was the result?

You're really choosing between two not-so-great options right now: Keep him as-is with no medication in an uncycled tank, which is already harming him, or, medicating him in an uncycled tank and possibly slowing the cycling process. (Personally, I don't know anything about medication slowing down cycles but I've never looked into it.)

I vote for medicating him. Good luck.
Sorry my post wasn't clear. I started him on Sulfaplex and gave him maybe 3 doses before stopping at the advice of LFS owner (because of hard time establishing cycle). I haven't given him any in a month or two. There's just so much going on for this poor fish. I don't think the meds did a whole lot to help him, but I didn't give him a full course.

I agree with you. I think I will give the full dose of sulfaplex and try to see if that helps.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sorry my post wasn't clear. I started him on Sulfaplex and gave him maybe 3 doses before stopping at the advice of LFS owner (because of hard time establishing cycle). I haven't given him any in a month or two. There's just so much going on for this poor fish. I don't think the meds did a whole lot to help him, but I didn't give him a full course.

I agree with you. I think I will give the full dose of sulfaplex and try to see if that helps.
You could treat him in a bare bottom tank if you have one and an extra heater and filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts