The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a number of large planted vases that are more than big enough to house a betta, however (despite loving them) I've been hesitating buying one because the water temp hangs about 72. The room temp is about 65 and stays about there till approx May when the sun comes back to Illinois. My dad kept bettas years ago and said they'd be ok, but everything I've been reading says they need a higher water temperature. What do you think... will a betta be ok in 72 degree water?

·
Registered
528 Posts
A betta would survive, but not thrive. They are very lethargic in cold water and I highly recommend having a heater and filter with them. It's a common misconception that Bettas do great in 'bowl' environments, when they really don't. Consider getting a paradise fish. Similar to a Betta (albeit not as colorful) but if you're really wanting a fish in there, they would be a better option.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I really don't like putting fish in uncomfortable spaces so I appreciate the info. I'll stick to admiring other people's bettas till I can convince my husband that another tank is good. :)

Meanwhile the planted vases will stay fish-free. I have a mystery snail in one and it's one happy active snail. Maybe the other vases can get snails too.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nerite snails are best for cold water tanks. Plus they do an awesome job.
I'm almost afraid to start with nerites. I already have two snail tanks plus two jars full of bladder, pond and a few unidentified small snails. If I bring another breed into the house next thing I know I'll hear pleas of "can we get this other color too?" and "can we hatch the clutches and keep them, mommy?". :icon_eek:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm almost afraid to start with nerites. I already have two snail tanks plus two jars full of bladder, pond and a few unidentified small snails. If I bring another breed into the house next thing I know I'll hear pleas of "can we get this other color too?" and "can we hatch the clutches and keep them, mommy?". :icon_eek:
Haha yeah kids make it difficult to 'rehome' sometimes. Nerites however need brackish water to breed so they don't reproduce in your tank. Plus they do an awesome job :)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Note that nerites will lay eggs in freshwater, so if you get some don't freak out if you see eggs. But the eggs won't hatch in freshwater. They are great for algae control and worth their weight in gold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts