The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what would be good bottom feeders for a planted tank with a betta, I know that limits my options quite a bit, but I'm just curious what could work.

The tank I'm using is a 20 gallon tall that has a piece of acrylic splitting it into 2 10 gallon tanks for my 2 bettas, 1 male, and 1 female. I currently have 1 nerite snail that I move between my 2 tanks and they don't bother it at all.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Bettas are very individual in personality. One will be fine living in a tank with a given fish where another will take a dislike to the same fish.
I think its easier to pick bottom fish because the Betta primarily stays in the middle to upper zones. I would try some of the micro-corydoras species. Get at least 6-8 so they have company. They tend to waste away and not do well alone or in small groups. They also need a sand or soft substrate to do well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
shrimp (such as amano, cherry, ghost, etc.) can make wonderful betta tank mates (as long as your bettas have more peaceful personalities). shrimp alsousually dont need special food, as they will eat any uneaten food left by your betta and feast on algae when they are done with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bettas are very individual in personality. One will be fine living in a tank with a given fish where another will take a dislike to the same fish.
I think its easier to pick bottom fish because the Betta primarily stays in the middle to upper zones. I would try some of the micro-corydoras species. Get at least 6-8 so they have company. They tend to waste away and not do well alone or in small groups. They also need a sand or soft substrate to do well.
I am using Top Fin® White Aquatic Sand with some small gravel sprinkled in for decor

·
Banned
35 Planted Aquariums
37 Posts
Totally depends on the betta. Their personalities vary from fish to fish. Some are altruistic hippie wizards - others are like Dolph Lundgren in Rocky IV. I would say some type of miniature cory or Kuhli Loach. Snails will work regardless and possibly shrimp depending on the fish.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Totally depends on the betta. Their personalities vary from fish to fish. Some are altruistic hippie wizards - others are like Dolph Lundgren in Rocky IV. I would say some type of miniature cory or Kuhli Loach. Snails will work regardless and possibly shrimp depending on the fish.
View attachment 1025589
Agree with the khuli and dwarf cory suggestion. I kept a very large female betta with a school of corydoras hasbrosus for years, and she completely ignored them and the ember tetras that also lived there. Khulis should do fine too; I had a couple black khulis in there for a month while cycling another tank and she only seemed offended when they got to the bloodworms first (no agression, just indignant).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.