The Planted Tank Forum banner

Betta Sugestions

676 3
I'm working on setting up a 6 gal tank that I've had and would like to have a betta.
I know not to get any form PetSmart, and have yet to ask how they care for them at my LFS Pets Supplies Plus but from what Ie've seen they do look healthier then those at PetSmart.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for purchasing online or on here. I'm located in Saginaw MI so if someone knows of LFS near me that has interesting healthy bettas that would be fine too.
Thanks
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Go look for your local options and see how the fish are cared for. That being said, I recently visited a LFS in the next county over that seemed like it was a good store. The Bettas were sickly and in dirty cups. A nearby Petco has recently added good staff in their fish department. I bought a good quality koi Betta. He is young and in excellent health. I saw him early in the week when they first got him. I went back several days later and his cup was clean, he still looked happy and well fed.

Once you know where you want to shop, find out what day they get new fish. Go on that day. Observe the Bettas, taking your time to choose a few you might like. Stand there for along time to observe the candidates. At that point you have narrowed them down for beauty. Now observe them for health and personality. If you take the time to make sure the fish is active, with no visible signs of disease and interested in you (unafraid, interactive), you should get a good pet.

I have not purchased Bettas online. Besides the Petco, we have a local Petstore that takes excellent care of their livestock. They told me what day to come in for new fish. They have provided me with Aquabid quality fish because my timing is good and they have a good supplier.

I recently found this article in a sample issue of flare called perceptions of the Betta pet trade. http://www.ibcbettas.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Flare-47-3-SAMPLE.pdfhttp://www.ibcbettas.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Flare-47-3-SAMPLE.pdf. The authors conclusion was that show quality Bettas can be found at Petco and Petsmart. I have found them at regular pet stores too. Buying in person lets you choose a fish that is healthy.

If you don't see what you want, don't be afraid to wait and go back later.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I'm working on setting up a 6 gal tank that I've had and would like to have a betta.
I know not to get any form PetSmart, and have yet to ask how they care for them at my LFS Pets Supplies Plus but from what Ie've seen they do look healthier then those at PetSmart.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for purchasing online or on here. I'm located in Saginaw MI so if someone knows of LFS near me that has interesting healthy bettas that would be fine too.
Thanks
There is a bettafish forum, I won't link (forum rules) but you can google it. Members there can recommend a lot of sellers, many members breed their own fish and sell them in the states, some have bought and kept bettas then sell them (healthy fish, just don't have room for them now). The forum also has a lot of great info on betta care and tips for making a safe/comfy tank home. Make an account there to see the marketplace section.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for all the info, I was leaning more towards purchasing one form my LFS because I always do wants to be able to observe the fish.I do not have a petco near me and the bettas at PetSmart did not look healthy, but the ones at Pet Supplies Plus seemed healthy and fairly active during the short time I was looking at them. I be going there today so I'll ask when they get new fish in, how they care for em and who their supplier is.
Thanks again for all the info and advice.

Go look for your local options and see how the fish are cared for. That being said, I recently visited a LFS in the next county over that seemed like it was a good store. The Bettas were sickly and in dirty cups. A nearby Petco has recently added good staff in their fish department. I bought a good quality koi Betta. He is young and in excellent health. I saw him early in the week when they first got him. I went back several days later and his cup was clean, he still looked happy and well fed.

Once you know where you want to shop, find out what day they get new fish. Go on that day. Observe the Bettas, taking your time to choose a few you might like. Stand there for along time to observe the candidates. At that point you have narrowed them down for beauty. Now observe them for health and personality. If you take the time to make sure the fish is active, with no visible signs of disease and interested in you (unafraid, interactive), you should get a good pet.

I have not purchased Bettas online. Besides the Petco, we have a local Petstore that takes excellent care of their livestock. They told me what day to come in for new fish. They have provided me with Aquabid quality fish because my timing is good and they have a good supplier.

I recently found this article in a sample issue of flare called perceptions of the Betta pet trade. http://www.ibcbettas.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Flare-47-3-SAMPLE.pdfhttp://www.ibcbettas.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Flare-47-3-SAMPLE.pdf. The authors conclusion was that show quality Bettas can be found at Petco and Petsmart. I have found them at regular pet stores too. Buying in person lets you choose a fish that is healthy.

If you don't see what you want, don't be afraid to wait and go back later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.