The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm setting up my first planted tank. It's a 20 gallon long, once I get the tank established I'm thinking of introducing:

1x Betta splendens
15x Green Neon Tetra
6x Kuhli Loach
3x Nerite Snail

The filtration I have on it is an Eheim 2213 (rated at max 116 GPH) and I have a Hydor Koralia Circulation pump sitting around that I was thinking of putting in demanding on how everything felt.

So the two questions are:

1. Will the Eheim 2213 and circulation pump create too much flow/current for the Betta?

2. If this combination is too much, maybe I scrap the circulation pump and just use the Eheim? Or do I need to scrap the Betta plan entirely?

I've done Googling on the subject of Bettas and flow and the consensus for the most part (excluding this thread Flow loving betta - Page 3 - Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care ) is that flow with bettas = bad. But I can't get a definitive sense if this will be a problem based on the numbers GPH I have going.

If I can't do a Betta, that's fine I'll get a few Scarlet Badis instead.

Thank you in advance for your advice, it's much appreciated and heeded!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
My first planted tank was very similar to that- a 20L with one betta, a bunch of kuhli loaches, snails. I had cherry barbs, not tetras (will they bother your betta?) My filter was a bit strong for the betta; I made a baffle by cutting the side out of a plastic water bottle and putting it over the outflow. It diverts the flow to the sides and makes it a bit more gentle. Seemed to work. The bettas with long fins struggle against flow. I keep plakats, they don't have as much trouble swimming...

·
Registered
671 Posts
We have Eheim 2211 canisters in my 6 gallon tanks. The flow rate on the output is turned down by a third and the outflow from the spray bars are pointed toward the walls of the tanks to break up the flow. Additionally, the tanks are packed with hardscape and plants which give my Bettas plenty of places to hang out where the water is calm. Unless they sit on the spray bar (which they do because they like it), they aren't blown around very much.

I think the big concern is balancing surface agitation for the health of the water with too high a current which stresses the Betta. As long as the Betta can choose whether he wants to get buffeted around or not, he should be fine. Some Bettas will choose to play in a current. They enjoy it as long as it is temporary.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
What tail type of betta do you have? Plakats and females have shorter fins so they can tolerate a little more current than longer finned like veiltail, halfmoon, double tails, etc. But they typically still prefer less flow than most other fish species pout up with (there are occasional exceptions).
I'd suggest following Varmint's advice about aiming the outflow (spray bar) at the tank wall its suction cupped to so it immediately bounces off the wall to reduce flow. I did this in my 12" cube with 2211 eheim canister, works great. Keeping a lot of large plants/hardscape near the filter to break up flow also helps.
I would not use the calculator with a betta in there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all! Your advice has been really helpful.

I think that I'll end up trying to reduce the flow by aiming the outflow at the wall. Maybe that'll work. If not, I have another tank for the betta if he's getting stressed.

I'll update when I've the tank all settled and the betta in. I hope that will be by mid July? Possibly? We'll see.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
If you do get a betta remember to add all other stock before betta-most (potentially) digressive/territorial fish (betta) should always be added last in a community.
Good luck! ^^

1 - 6 of 6 Posts