The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a double tail red male betta and light yellow color veil tail female last weekend and instead of put in them in small tank separated (bettas live in rice fields with thousands gallons of water), i decided to put them in a 20 gallon long tank with neon tetra, albino corycat, ottos and minows..3 days later they were so *busy* and caught them spawning, it was too late for me to put a separator to keep the other fish away, but the male is doing his job to keep the bandits away whenever they get close to his nest, just like the easy street movie from charlie chaplin.
here is a short videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXRBpEy4aWA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5-nHARRFUg

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a beautiful lookin betta you got there. I've never seen bettas breed in the open like that. Unfortunately none of the babies will survive. I say take them out and put them into a small tank and let them spawn again.
The other tanks i have are shrimp only, i don't want to lose them..but next time i will be ready with a separator to get the other fish and the female away after laying eggs, then i will remove the male when the frys are able to swim..but now i will leave them alone, i don't want to disturbe his nest.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Bettas spawning are such a wonderful show! I love their courtship it´s "intense". Make sure to remove the female afterwards or she will get killed by the male.

If you pretend to raise the fry be prepared for infusoria and some very very small food because betta fry are incredibly small. It´s a PITA

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bettas spawning are such a wonderful show! I love their courtship it´s "intense". Make sure to remove the female afterwards or she will get killed by the male.

If you pretend to raise the fry be prepared for infusoria and some very very small food because betta fry are incredibly small. It´s a PITA
I don't think these frys will make it with all the neons and other fish around, but i do have Hikari first bite for the next spawning..i will also buy some starter culture just in case.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The frys start to show up now, they move up and down the bubble nest but can not swim yet, i decided not to move them and keep everything the way it is, i have a lot of floating plants on that tank that they can hide in between, and the male still protecting them.

·
Registered
931 Posts
betta fry are TINY and grow extremely slowly. There is no possible way that the fry could survive, they take months to grow to the size that a full grown cory or neon tetra couldnt eat them anymore.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I used to breed betta. When they started to free swim you have to feed them live baby brine shrimp. If you want to breed the betta again. You should feed the adult live worm.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it all depend on the personality, the male i have is not so aggressive with the female..but he does get mad with other fish when they get close to the nest...
i know that i have to leave the male alone with the eggs and remove the female..in his case i kept them all together, the frys are able to swim now but not too far from the nest, what i realy don't understand is the male is expanding his nest and i saw them spawning again!! she still has eggs!!
he never eat for the entire week, taking care of the eggs and frys, and now he has more eggs to care for.:confused:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I gave up, i moved the female to another tank after round 3...i thought they are going to take a rest after the frys are free to swim, then i found another eggs on the top for the third time.
i tried to remove at least 4 frys to the shrimp tank to see how they will look like.. i couldn't, they hide so quick between the floating riccia, if they made it i'll post some fry pictures later.
here is the third round eggs:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts