The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the entirety of this week as my spring break and besides work, there's not much else going on.

I've kept bettas for close to 8 months now and I have meticulously researched breeding. It helps that I'm good friends with my LFS and the owners, and will therefore have homes for any and all bettas that might result from any breeding.

Over the last 2 months, I've bought about 14 female HMPKs from Aluka from these forums as well as 2 HMPK male from Snowflake311 (the white/brown HMPK male) and Aluka (the dalmatian/pinkish male) respectively . My first spawn was unsuccessful, so I would like your guys help with picking the new pair. I have two other HMPK males as well. The males will be listed first and the females after.

Brown Water Fin Fish supply Plant

Water Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Fish

Brown Colorfulness Water Fish supply Fish

Water Fish supply Fin Organism Fish

I want to breed the Dalmatian HMPK male with one of his blue or multi sisters, but I want to know what the color combinations of the F2 might be, since the parents were marbles.
Without further ado, here are the females

Brown Colorfulness Plant Terrestrial plant Electric blue

Plant Blue Botany Underwater Organism

Water Liquid Nature Fluid Underwater

Water Marine invertebrates Fluid Liquid Underwater

Water Vertebrate Blue Organism Fin

Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Fish supply Grass

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I can tell u there is no reason to breed any of those betta except for your own amusement . So have fun.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Is it just your elitism talking, or are you going to provide specific information as to why I shouldn't breed any of my stock?

I'm not a silly little kid that wants to bring upto 500 fish into this world for "fun" or my own amusement. I have the space, the food, and the tanks to raise a spawn properly and have a place for most of them to go.

The parents of the dalmatian and all of the females were excellent fish, so i want to bring the marble gene back in the F2 generation:
Eye Fish Fin Marine biology Wing

Organism Plant Rectangle Fish supply Fin

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 10 gallon breeding tank, with a TON of anacharis and guppy grass in one corner and a small plastic plant for the female to hide in.
I use half a styrofoam cup as well as Indian Almond Leaves for the bubble nest and tannins to get the pair in the mood.

UPDATE: my attempt yesterday to spawn the dalmatian didnt go as planned. Apparently he is awful at making bubble nests, even when i put another male within a container next to the tank. He kept chasing the female and didn't tend to his nest at all.
I took the female out and will recondition the pair, or maybe try another female altogether.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never put a female in with a male until I see a bubble nest.
He also will be too busy "sparring" with a rival male to concentrate on a bubble nest.
I think he's just overwhelmed; too much at once.

Everybody has a different method, but this is how I "kick start" a bubble nest.
Tape a piece of bubble wrap, bubble side down, in a corner of the tank so it floats on the water.
Crisscross it with a slightly smaller piece of dried banana (this is another reason I love banana leaves), in your case, IAL.
Then release your male in the tank.
He will see the psuedo bubble nest, get all puffed up and proud like he blew it,
and add to it.
After he gets his bubble on, I then place the gal in a container either in the tank/breeder itself, or next to the tank like you did with the male.
Unless I see bubble, I do not release her.
Even then, they may still not take to each other, but first step is bubble :)
-Stef*
Thanks for the great advice. I'll try the bubble wrap technique tonight :)

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I did start a spawn, but with the dalmatian male and a sort of matching, marble cello female. Their first spawn was unsuccessful since the male either ate all the eggs or the free-swimming fry, probably because they weren't going to develop their swim bladders once the bubble nest fell apart.

Anyways, the spawn log is here : http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=376282

I started one on this website, but literally NO ONE commented, despite a hundred or so views :/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts