The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the entirety of this week as my spring break and besides work, there's not much else going on.

I've kept bettas for close to 8 months now and I have meticulously researched breeding. It helps that I'm good friends with my LFS and the owners, and will therefore have homes for any and all bettas that might result from any breeding.

Over the last 2 months, I've bought about 14 female HMPKs from Aluka from these forums as well as 2 HMPK male from Snowflake311 (the white/brown HMPK male) and Aluka (the dalmatian/pinkish male) respectively . My first spawn was unsuccessful, so I would like your guys help with picking the new pair. I have two other HMPK males as well. The males will be listed first and the females after.

Brown Water Fin Fish supply Plant

Water Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Fish

Brown Colorfulness Water Fish supply Fish

Water Fish supply Fin Organism Fish

I want to breed the Dalmatian HMPK male with one of his blue or multi sisters, but I want to know what the color combinations of the F2 might be, since the parents were marbles.
Without further ado, here are the females

Brown Colorfulness Plant Terrestrial plant Electric blue

Plant Blue Botany Underwater Organism

Water Liquid Nature Fluid Underwater

Water Marine invertebrates Fluid Liquid Underwater

Water Vertebrate Blue Organism Fin

Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Fish supply Grass

·
Registered
465 Posts
Well I can tell u there is no reason to breed any of those betta except for your own amusement . So have fun.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I can tell u there is no reason to breed any of those betta except for your own amusement . So have fun.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Is it just your elitism talking, or are you going to provide specific information as to why I shouldn't breed any of my stock?

I'm not a silly little kid that wants to bring upto 500 fish into this world for "fun" or my own amusement. I have the space, the food, and the tanks to raise a spawn properly and have a place for most of them to go.

The parents of the dalmatian and all of the females were excellent fish, so i want to bring the marble gene back in the F2 generation:
Eye Fish Fin Marine biology Wing

Organism Plant Rectangle Fish supply Fin

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Personally I like your third male, but that may be because he reminds me of an old male I had a while back.

Him and the girl with the marble genetics may throws some nice offspring, but I know little about their genetics.

·
Registered
55 Posts
View attachment 291553
This male looks awesome. I am partial to HMPKs, and his coloring is definitely a favorite too.

View attachment 291585
I'm not sure what you'd get if you paired the marbled female with him, but it'd be an interesting pairing. Since marbles are mostly dominant, I'd imagine you'd get a good variety in the offspring.

That being said, regardless of who you breed, I'm sure the spawn will look great! :D

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Sometime the pair you pick has no interest in each other so you may just have to choose a male and rotate a couple females through the tank. Make sure the female have room to escape if he gets too rough. But give them time to get a little rough or they may never breed. Do you have a place for the male to build a bubble nest? Have you or will you start by feeding them live foods?

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 10 gallon breeding tank, with a TON of anacharis and guppy grass in one corner and a small plastic plant for the female to hide in.
I use half a styrofoam cup as well as Indian Almond Leaves for the bubble nest and tannins to get the pair in the mood.

UPDATE: my attempt yesterday to spawn the dalmatian didnt go as planned. Apparently he is awful at making bubble nests, even when i put another male within a container next to the tank. He kept chasing the female and didn't tend to his nest at all.
I took the female out and will recondition the pair, or maybe try another female altogether.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I never put a female in with a male until I see a bubble nest.
He also will be too busy "sparring" with a rival male to concentrate on a bubble nest.
I think he's just overwhelmed; too much at once.

Everybody has a different method, but this is how I "kick start" a bubble nest.
Tape a piece of bubble wrap, bubble side down, in a corner of the tank so it floats on the water.
Crisscross it with a slightly smaller piece of dried banana (this is another reason I love banana leaves), in your case, IAL.
Then release your male in the tank.
He will see the psuedo bubble nest, get all puffed up and proud like he blew it,
and add to it.
After he gets his bubble on, I then place the gal in a container either in the tank/breeder itself, or next to the tank like you did with the male.
Unless I see bubble, I do not release her.
Even then, they may still not take to each other, but first step is bubble :)
-Stef*

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tape a piece of bubble wrap, bubble side down, in a corner of the tank so it floats on the water.
Crisscross it with a slightly smaller piece of dried banana (this is another reason I love banana leaves), in your case, IAL.
He will see the psuedo bubble nest, get all puffed up and proud like he blew it,
and add to it.
This made me chuckle. But definitely a good piece of advice.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never put a female in with a male until I see a bubble nest.
He also will be too busy "sparring" with a rival male to concentrate on a bubble nest.
I think he's just overwhelmed; too much at once.

and add to it.
After he gets his bubble on, I then place the gal in a container either in the tank/breeder itself, or next to the tank like you did with the male.
Unless I see bubble, I do not release her.
Even then, they may still not take to each other, but first step is bubble :)
-Stef*
Thanks for the great advice. I'll try the bubble wrap technique tonight :)

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
I know I'm late to the party, but I'd match this male:

with this female:

I love his almost wild imbellis coloring and both of their well-defined fins (I don't like the crowntail fins as much). I'd love to be able to find a male like that locally.

Please let us know how things are going for you. Any luck yet?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had a question on this too, after my damn cats scared my old veiled male out of his tank, I got a new crown tail to pair with my crowntail female. The old pair use to hang out just fine, but this new guy just drives the female into a little hole in the corner and will NOT stop harrassing her. If I put him in the the tank with a divider, he starts to make a bubble nest, but ceases as soon as he sees her and flares up his gills and chases her all over. If he cant get to her she will be very curious and keep checking him out, but as soon as I put them together its just a fight....

Do you think that my female looks too much like a male and he doesnt want to tango? You think I should try another veil tail? Am I not giving them enough time to get use to each other? Let me know as I am about ready to take him back...

(sorry dont mean to hi jack this thread)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mirkinator, if I'm understanding what you're trying to do here - male and female bettas can rarely co-exist in the same tank. If you're trying to breed, you want to keep them where they can see each other but can't harm each other until he has a good bubble nest built and is showing interest, and the female has the stripes indicating she's ready to breed. Then you only want to leave them together long enough to spawn, and still leave plenty of cover for one or the other to hide if needed. There is more to conditioning to breed than that, was more just clarifying that you can't leave them together indefinitely. If you did before, you got lucky with docile fish.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I did start a spawn, but with the dalmatian male and a sort of matching, marble cello female. Their first spawn was unsuccessful since the male either ate all the eggs or the free-swimming fry, probably because they weren't going to develop their swim bladders once the bubble nest fell apart.

Anyways, the spawn log is here : http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=376282

I started one on this website, but literally NO ONE commented, despite a hundred or so views :/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts