The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My male giant betta suddenly looks like he can't close his mouth and seems to be panting. His tank is heavily planted, 2 filters (low current, you can see my red rooted floaters), an air stone, and the parameters are good. This tank has never had a problem, and current tests read zero for nitrite, nitrate and ammonia. The water has a GH that's a little on the high side, but it's not dangerous and it's never seemed to bother anyone in the tank, including the betta. Other fish in the tank seem fine, so do the shrimp. Any thoughts? Could he have hurt his jaw somehow?

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The tank gets a variety of foods, flakes, pellets, and frozen (brine shrimp, krill, plankton, mysis shrimp, blood worms, daphnea) but I always thaw the food before putting it in the tank, so it shouldn't be that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does look like maybe he injured himself. Does he fight his reflection or any of the decorations in your tank?
I'm thinking he did, but he doesn't fight anyone or anything in the tank that I've seen. I've seen a couple small tiffs over food with the sailfin pleco (who has been moved to a bigger tank) but otherwise he doesn't bother anyone and really isn't very aggressive at all

I'm thinking he did, but he doesn't fight anyone or anything in the tank that I've seen. I've seen a couple small tiffs over food with the sailfin pleco (who has been moved to a bigger tank) but otherwise he doesn't bother anyone and really isn't very aggressive at all
The sailfin was about the bettas size ~3" when he was moved

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I'd say keep an eye on it, maybe it's just a little swollen from being hit off of something. He seems fine elsewise from the pic. I've had several betta with similar, not stuck open but swollen. Keep him comfortable and keep the water clean. Hopefully he gets better soon!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.