The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to trap a fish in the Betta tank using the inverted water bottle method, but the Betta won't stay out of it. He's not hungry at all, he's just weird.

I put the trap in various locations and the minute I walk away he swims into it, passing through this little hole, and gets stuck. And proceeds to freak out. He's not the curious type so I don't get why he's so into it.

I just had a scare. I didn't think he'd be interested in the trap anymore after having been extracted four times today (!). The tank lights have been off for a while and this time of night he's usually perched on a plant for the evening.

I happened to walk by and noticed he wasn't in his regular place - he was in the trap - again! I don't know exactly how long he was in there, but he's acting kinda strange. I don't know how often Bettas need to surface and I just hope he's going to be ok.

Actually he pulled this stunt about a year and a half ago. I was using the same kind of thing to trap snails. There were greens inside the bottle and the opening was almost flush on the bottom so I don't know how he managed to get in that trap, but he did it.

He's got a planted 10g to explore but he's never been into checking everything out. Accept apparently if he sees a water bottle he's just got to be inside of it. Even in the dark (for the 5th time today!)

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

Of course the other fish won't go anywhere near the trap.....:/ And vanishes at the sight of a net.

Here's the Betta en route to the bottle, and then trapped inside it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
If you're not monitoring it, do not use it. My betta did the same thing. My trap was the same as yours but tweaked it for snails. Trapped my betta and killed it in one night. Sucked.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no I'm so sorry you had to go through that

Ya as soon as I saw him do it the first time I kept an eye on the tank. Not standing there watching but I'd look in every 1/2 hour or so I'm just floored he kept going back. I've never heard of Bettas obcessed with water bottles.

Ho man your story is heartbreaking

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
What about removing the betta until you've caught the other fish? Put the betta in a clean, empty container with some tank water for a day or two, then leave the trap in the tank until the other fish is caught.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
My betta did that. Went into the trap constantly, and the smaller fish I wanted to catch took much longer to do so. I stayed in the same room as the tank (reading or something) keeping an eye on it, took the betta out multiple times until the other fish went in. I wouldn't leave the trap set overnight in this case. You can poke holes in the side of your trap so more water flows through and oxygen, btw. If the other fish is smaller maybe make the entrance more narrow- i did this to catch kuhli loaches, put the cap back on the bottle lid part and cut a narrow hole in the cap just big enough for the loach. But you have to have some really tempting food in there to coax the loach in. If the fish you want to catch isn't interested, I'd fast the whole tank for a day or two so they are hungrier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts