The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My betta started pacing the back of the tank this eve. I have never seen her do this before. I assume she is just bored, so I tried stimulating her a bit by putting a mirror in front of her,popping a floating ball in the tank, talking to her lol, trying to play the chase the finger game (she is good at that one) and offering her a bit of food. The only thing that got her attention was the food. Everything else she looked at for a second and went back to pacing. I started my paintball co2 system tonight, after removing my DIY co2 system. Could this be affecting her? I am doing the system at around 1 bubble per second which is slightly more than what I was getting with the yeast system. anything else I could try to break her boredom / insanity?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Weird, well I'd say she's most likely bored out of her mind. Cuz when I'm bored outta my mind I eat like crazy and go on and offline going to the same sites to check if there are any updates. And I sigh like crazy and check the same sites, rinse and repeat.

I don't think the CO2 has to do with it. And well I say you tried some of the best ways to break the boredom. I don't have any experience with bored bettas. It's weird how she is bored since she is ain a planted tank. I guess she explored every possible square inch to the maximum and not interested in her surroundings any more.

You might want to offer live foods couple times a day like live worm or fruit flies, in small portions so you can give throughout the days. I give all three of my bettas one serving of 10+ live fruit flies (it's a little hard to count them seperately so just shake them from the jar and eyeball it), and sad to say... the occasional guppy fry :(

Or if you are not allergic to bloodworms like I am, take a single worm and wiggle it above the the water line but close to it and make her jump for worms or teach her other tricks.

I also give my bettas some mirror time too occasionally.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the mirror lol she looked at it for a second and went back to the pacing. Right now she is laying on her chosen Val. near the filters, she has a particular area she likes to sleep lol. After the lights went out and the moon lights came on she decided to chase the WCMM's a bit, then went to bed.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It might be possible, it is along the back of the tank. I have the back painted black, and a small dusting of algae is starting to creep up on it. This morning she has paced a little, chased my danio's came and said hi to me and is currently playing around in the RRF roots. She must have been really bored last night. I might add a few more stems just to give her something to play in while I wait to rescape the tank next month.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is she at it again today?

If so, you might try rescaping the tank.

Some bettas also do well with toys like floating ping pong balls to push around. Some really like those floating betta logs you see at Petsmart.
My wife was begging me to find a ping pong ball when I am out and about today lol I think O might. she has paced a very little this morning. But I think she is enjoying watching her tank mates chase each other right now. When it gets later in the eve, they tend to go to the darker side of the tank and do not chase as much. Her tank is right next to my computer so watching them is very easy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
how big is your aquarium? if it is a 20 or bigger you could get more girls.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No worries, caught me off guard. Brought back some memories of a very smart little fish. The only fish I have had that has been as intelligent as this Betta was is my current Apisto. Agazzazi, who I can hand feed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts