The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know there's a lot of different opinions on this but I want to hear what you all have to say.

I have a 75g tank that will soon have about 20 red cherry shrimp, and a longfin bristlenose albino pleco. I'm really thinking a school of harlequin rasboras and some other schooling/shoaling fish.

Any reason I can't put in a betta as a centerpiece?

Below is a picture of my tank as it stands today...

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
So I know there's a lot of different opinions on this but I want to hear what you all have to say.

I have a 75g tank that will soon have about 20 red cherry shrimp, and a longfin bristlenose albino pleco. I'm really thinking a school of harlequin rasboras and some other schooling/shoaling fish.

Any reason I can't put in a betta as a centerpiece?

Below is a picture of my tank as it stands today...
I'm going to say depends on the Betta.

Things to think about:
1. Your cherry shrimp will be expensive Betta food
2. Make sure there is not a lot of current in the tank. Especially if you choose a halfmoon or any other long fin Betta. Bettas don't do well with fast moving water.
3. Watch out for fin nipping. An otocinclus killed my favorite Betta. Yes, you heard me right. A vegetarian ate my Bettas fins. He died of infection.
4. Make sure your Betta is not out competed for food.
5. Make sure your hardscape doesn't have a lot of sharp edges.
6. Make sure your Betta can still interact with you

Pros:
1. your tank looks like Betta paradise. Lots of hiding spots and plants
2. My Bettas love Rasboras. They make great playthings

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to say depends on the Betta.

Things to think about:
1. Your cherry shrimp will be expensive Betta food
2. Make sure there is not a lot of current in the tank. Especially if you choose a halfmoon or any other long fin Betta. Bettas don't do well with fast moving water.
3. Watch out for fin nipping. An otocinclus killed my favorite Betta. Yes, you heard me right. A vegetarian ate my Bettas fins. He died of infection.
4. Make sure your Betta is not out competed for food.
5. Make sure your hardscape doesn't have a lot of sharp edges.
6. Make sure your Betta can still interact with you

Pros:
1. your tank looks like Betta paradise. Lots of hiding spots and plants
2. My Bettas love Rasboras. They make great playthings
2 points,

1) According to one site, I read that generally betta won't eat RCS. I'm guessing that depends on size.

2) should I be concerned with the betta hurting his fin on my manzanita branch?

Thanks for the response

·
Registered
671 Posts
2 points,

1) According to one site, I read that generally betta won't eat RCS. I'm guessing that depends on size.

2) should I be concerned with the betta hurting his fin on my manzanita branch?

Thanks for the response
1. I had scuds in a Betta tank. No more scuds. I had Amano shrimp in a Betta tank. They got nervous and had a prison break. One of two was rescued before he was found crispy dead like his fellow prison breaker. I replaced the Betta in the 5 gallon with shrimp a couple of Cories and the murderous otocinclus. Shrimp kept randomly dying until I removed the fish. Personally, I can't recommend fish and shrimp. You can try it and intervene if necessary.

2. The manzanita branch could be a problem. Bettas love to wrap their bodies around things. I usually keep halfmoons. As they age, their fins get long and heavy. They stop to rest their fins and tails on things. The long fins are delicate and can easily get ripped. My red rosetail has a giant gash in his lower fin. I suspect he caught it on something.

Back in the eighties, I kept Bettas in a 29 gallon hex. The average age at death was less than a year. My perfect Betta tank is now the 6 gallon Eheim Aquastyle, stock filter replaced with an Eheim 2211 canister turned to low, spray bar facing a wall. Heavily planted.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Just from the driftwood I'd advise against it, betta fins are ridiculously delicate, it would find a way to snag and shred fins on the hardscape.
Bettas vary, some are more tolerant than others of sharing a tank-they will most certainly eat your shrimp! I have an Elephant ear halfmoon that killed and ate ghost shrimp and amano shrimp (much larger), and have watched other bettas hunt cherry/dwarf shrimp.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Get a plakat, short fin betta. They do better in large tanks. If you're set on long fins, a 10G is best. Big fins are a drag, literally. Feeding a fast short fin betta is easier. Nothing wrong with a group of females either.

Once a betta have a taste for shrimps, they'll wipe out the population.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.