The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, help with with this ID....I recently added another female to my betta sorority. I bought the new female betta from a LFS in chinatown which sold the fish as a betta but the owners did not specify which species exactly. To me the body habitus is different from female betta spledens...my new female looks alot more stout and not as slim/slender as my other female splendens.

Take a look and let me know if this looks at all like a betta imbellis...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
he may have some imbellis blood but your guy is pretty much a plakat. hard to find pure bred bettas these days....

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing is for sure, she is definitely a FEMALE because I spotted an obvious ovipositor on her when she swims upwards against the glass (sorry not pictured here).

So I am confident that she is a female. I just don't think she is a splendens b/c I have a bunch of other females in there with her and they are all alot more curvy in the belly than her. And I feed them all the same amount!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
bettas body shape varies with tail type...

betta imbellis females are dull bodies.... >.> it is likely she is mixed with something else... but really alot of bettas splendens are also bred with others species to produce/enhance desirable attributes....

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bettas body shape varies with tail type...

betta imbellis females are dull bodies.... >.> it is likely she is mixed with something else... but really alot of bettas splendens are also bred with others species to produce/enhance desirable attributes....
I got this girl at Aquastar, maybe about two months ago. :smile: I thought she looked like a beauty in her little half-gatorade bottle cutout....LOL. Didn't get a good look at her side profile until I got her home.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to mention....the people over at bettafish.com are telling me my fish here is a male. I'm not so convinced as she has a very obvious ovipositor whenever she swims up to the surface.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts