The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to bettas--just got my first one last saturday. It was 45 bucks from ebay, and when it arrived, I noted that it was missing scales on its head and back. I thought he would heal up and feel better after recovering from shipping.

...A few days later, while he has perked up, he has started darting toward and glancing off plants, rocks and the sides of the tank. Additionally, the discoloration/missing scales on his back look worse. After feverishly researching online for the past few days, I believe he has very bad velvet. He has the following symptoms:

Laying on bottom of the tank lethargically for all of the first two days he arrived, and much of the last couple of days. Though he did perk up a bit.

Heavy breathing while he lays on bottom of tank.

Darting/glancing/scratching off objects like rocks, plants.

Not eating.

Scale discoloration/what looks like rubbed off scales.

I want to give him some relief, and I already ordered Mardel Copper Safe and it will arrive tomorrow night, but I have aquarium salt and prazipro in the house, as well as betta fix (never used). Is there anything I can do for him tonight?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I would do an Epsom salt bath for 10 minutes -1 tsp to 1 gallon water
This will only offer some relief, not fix the velvet.
I would rather use a betta specific medicine like bettazing, they are sensitive fish. Copper can be problematic with invertebrates.
You can add salt up to 2 1/2 tsp/gal, measure it out, divide in 3 and mix in with tank water over a day or 2.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.