The Planted Tank Forum banner

betta fish!

755 8
So, I'm planning out the tank I am going to build with a coworker for my betta Lord Baelish. How deep does the water need to be MINIMUM for them? Don't worry, I'm not making it that low, just thinking about dimensions and what size to make it. I'm planning on giving him a nice long swimming space. I have no set ideas yet, need measurements for that, just wanted to make it shorter but nice and long because he is such an active happy fish.
Even if he does munch on the plants in his tank driving me nuts for attention! Darn fish always thinks he's starving, he's more like a Sumo Fighting Fish than a Siamese Fighting Fish. Lol
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Since they are native to shallow water I wouldn't make it less than 7-8 inches tall, that would allow for a few inches of substrate as well. Maybe add an inch in there in case you don't plan on filling it right to the brim.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I love the proportions on the Deep Blue 3 gallon, 12x6x6.

If you made yours a little taller there'd be more water and that means fewer water changes!

How many gallons do you want?

10 g is usually the smallest for a stable cycle.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
If you're experienced you can maintain the cycle in nearly any sized container. I've kept bettas for many years in cycled 2.5 and 5g tanks.

A standard 5g is a pretty good size for a betta - plenty of swimming space yet tall enough for some small plants. The 6.6g book shelf tanks are nice too, altho they're acrylic and scratch really easily. But they're quite a bit longer than a standard 5g.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
If you're experienced you can maintain the cycle in nearly any sized container. I've kept bettas for many years in cycled 2.5 and 5g tanks.

A standard 5g is a pretty good size for a betta - plenty of swimming space yet tall enough for some small plants. The 6.6g book shelf tanks are nice too, altho they're acrylic and scratch really easily. But they're quite a bit longer than a standard 5g.
I am working on stabilizing my nanos -- Fluval Spec V, 5 g standard, 2.5 standard and Fluval Spec 2.

Any suggestions you have would be gratefully appreciated!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I just treat them like any other tank - once the cycle is done I do weekly partial water changes of about 30-40% (every other week on the 5g's), and vac just a small bit of the gravel each time. I use small internal filters and very rarely clean them as they just don't get very dirty. I also have live plants - java fern and/or anubias nana, and duckweek in each tank to help with water quality.

I should say that I haven o problems with these tanks but all they have in each is a betta and a nerite snail to two. It may be a different story if they were more heavily stocked.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a side note that I dig the littlefinger reference with your betta :)

Do you have over GoT fish???
Yes, Haha, my ADFs are named John Snow and Sam, and my nerites are Jamie and Tywin.
Most of the fish are given ASOIAF (GoT) names.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.