The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 gallon fresh water planted, 30 gallon shrimp tank, 55 gallon community tank.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I reacently bought two double tail bettas from Petco. There tank set up is a 5 gallon split with a divider with a sponge filter and and a heater keeping the tank at 79-82°f. I made sure each side of the tank received adequate waterflow. Now here's my problem. One of the bettas is happy and playful as they should be while the other spends most of his time "depressed" staring into the corner of the tank or in the back. And he hasn't eaten since I've had him. I'm not sure what to do as he has no outwardly physical signs of disease that I can spot. Help

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Can the bettas see each other? If so, the depressed one may be stressed from the other male "visually" dominating/challenging him.

Is there enough plant cover to hide around?

Any floating cover to block out some light for a shady spot?

Otherwise he may be sick with something.
Can you possibly take a picture of him? Maybe we can see some sign you are not aware of.

Keep watching him to see if he gets better or worse. Maybe he is fine and thats just his territory? Or he is still settling in (more shy than the other)? Possibly scared ofyour presence?

Hard to say if it is some disease without more symptoms. Frozen bloodworms are a common favorite among fish. Try feeding when the lights are off or feed and go away so yhe betta can eat in peace.

Either way, not eating for too long is a bad thing whether its stress related or being sick. New fish can sometimes go many days before they settle in enough and start eating freely.

Best guess without more symptoms is stress or internal parasites. How does the belly look? You can use Hikari PraziPro or Seachem MetroPlex/Aquazole for internal parasites.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Photo showing tank?
Every betta's personality is different, some get stressed sharing a split tank. Not having enough hiding spots/shared areas may also cause them to stay 'in hiding'. Bettas don't like direct bright light as they cannot squint or put on sunglasses like us. Adding floating plants to diffuse light and more decor/live plants could help.
As for health have you seen the less active one poop? is it white? If its white something is wrong.
If he's healthy and just not eating live foods (wiggling things make them want to eat) or garlic extract soaked foods can help.

·
Registered
75 gallon fresh water planted, 30 gallon shrimp tank, 55 gallon community tank.
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
His stomach looks normal but I will post a picture as soon as I get home to show you the set up. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
My latest betta behaved similar while my tank was still cycling... He is much better now and back to terrifying his friend the cory.
I hope you mean cory plural, they are shoaling fish not something that should be kept solo.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I rotate them in his tank. He is a real moody bugger and will sometimes chase the cory around the tank.
So basically they get about 1 week shifts to keep the tank clean. I'm afraid he'd get obsessed with them if I added another...

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'd make sure where are enough visual blocks.. Also , my current betta likes (well I shouldn't say LIKES as it's more of a dislike) his big ramshorn snail. He kinda obsesses over it.. following it around.. flaring at it.. circling it.. especially when it moves or goes near his bubble nest.. BUT he never, ever, touches it. If he hurt it i'd remove it.Anwyay.. it seems to give him some interesting stimulation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I raise Bettas and am convinced that all males are just big drama queens. Females can be a bit grumpy, but they do well together in groups of five or more in community tanks. They just don't have the fashion sense the males are burdened with. And they do seem to have definite/distinct personalities. How recently did you buy the little guy? If it's been more than a week, I'd suspect there's something going on making him feel poor if he hasn't eaten, including not having eaten. If he refuses flakes or brine shrimp, try squeezing the innards of a frozen pea (after it has thawed) to float on the top of his water. Strange as it may sound, this often is accepted and it sort of clears out their little digestive systems.

You might consider moving him to a large bowl of his aquarium water and adding bottle spring water to make up the volume so he's got at least a gallon to swim around in. I can assure you, its more space than he's had to live in prior to you putting him in a new Betta tank. Once he's alone (and the water is the right temperature (78-80 degrees F), he may be more inclined to eat small bits of food. This way you'll be able to keep a better eye on him, check his poop and his body for any external parasites. If he doesn't improve, you'll also have him contained for treatment by adding about one teaspoon of canning or pickling salt per gallon to the water which helps the them recover from the stress caused by disease. The salt works by reducing osmotic pressure, enabling the fish's own immune system to fight back. <b>Note: do not use iodized table salt!</b> Not having observes ich or other parasites or fungus, that's the best advice I can know of. Hope the little guy recovers. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.