The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a beta and definitely under estimated how much care they need. I had a fake plant in with him but took it out because I noticed tearing in his fins. I've been reading alot about fin rot and I guess I'd just like the opinion of someone who knows bettas better than I. Do his fins look like fin rot or do they look cut from the fake plants? I feel so bad that I may have caused this, please help.
Marine invertebrates Azure Purple Organism Underwater
Water Vertebrate Blue Marine invertebrates Underwater

·
Registered
802 Posts
Which fins are you worried about? What did he look like before?

He looks like the type bred for all the threads in their fins. I do notice a few threads in his dorsal that seem to be cut/breaking.

It doesn't look like fin rot to me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Agree, he looks like a crowntail betta. The only problem I've seen with decor vs bettas is skin abrasions on them when they try to swim inside/through holes in decor that is too small for them. If you are worried about the fake plants causing fin damage, you can always switch to a type with long flat leaves or the silk type (petsmart often carries them). As long as you keep the water clean with regular weekly water changes, any fin damage should clear right up.

Fin rot looks more like the fin dissolves down to the roots or ribs, often with whitish edges.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It looks like cut fins, not fin rot. It most likely was from the plastic plant. I'd recommend getting silk fake plants instead of plastic ones because they are a lot more gentle on the betta's fins.

·
Registered
66 Posts
that is a crowntail betta my friend. their fins are bred to look like that. He does look like he has some small injuries on his fins though. Get indian almond leaves for the tank. they have antifungal and antibacterial properties that are calming for fish. with regular maintenance, your betta should be fully healed within a couple weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts