The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got this new Betta a few weeks ago for my 2.5 nano tank at work. He's a very pretty half-moon but I have seen him taking bites out of his own tail. Water parameters are good. PH is 7.2, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, . 5 nitrates. Temperature is 80 degrees. He has a nice tank, it's filtered and I do a 50% water change weekly. Anyone have any idea why he'd be eating himself? I do feed him 2x daily as well. It was hard to get a picture but I think you can see the missing pieces at the top of his tail fin.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I can try that but he's on my desk at work. I'm only here for 9 hours a day. Maybe he gets really bored when I leave...
Poor guy!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you order those online or would they have them for sale at the lfs ?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Neither water parameters nor feeding are culprits here. It's simply overly inbred and too weighed down by all the abnormality/deformity hanging off its body and trying to rid itself of it. It'll be out of its misery in a few months (shortened life span mutants like that have) and you can replace him with a colorful plakat which, depending upon the colors may also be inbred, but not to the same detriment. Sorry for being the GrimReaper, don't shoot the messenger.

Bump:
You can get various live foods from a LFS or online supplier. I get mine from large still puddles in the woods.
Chicago puddles in early March? No way. You're about the same latitude as me and we've got at least another month to go. Last week I started constructing my own 1g "puddles". Do you add greens? Best live food money can't buy, unless you're at Chatuchak market, just past all the Betta jars.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Chicago puddles in early March? No way. You're about the same latitude as me and we've got at least another month to go. Last week I started constructing my own 1g "puddles".
We've had some crazy warm spells this year. 2 weeks ago it was in the 50's. But actually when it's cold is the best time to get copepods, when it's been warm for a while the still pools by the stream are also full of nymphs and water beetles. A dragonfly nymph is as likely to bite your fish, as your fish is to bite it.

Do you add greens? Best live food money can't buy, unless you're at Chatuchak market, just past all the Betta jars.
For the copepods I put them in sealed 2qt clear jars with some plant clippings in a sunny window and they multiply like crazy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.