The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Lovely boy, they will make bubble nests simply because it is their instinct.. some do it more often/larger when there is a pressure change for a storm front.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I like the rays in his caudal much more vs this platinum Plakat:
AquaBid.com - Halfmoon Plakat Auctions - Wed Apr 20 09:02:28 2016- Closed Auction

Your photo depicts normal branching rays, at least in the lower half. The photo in the AquaBid link, especially the upper portion of the caudal, is indicative of a highly inbred fish. Yours is more of a what a Plakat is supposed to look like, and potentially healthier as well.

Don't be under the impression that nests are built due to random events beyond our control. Once a healthy, sexually mature male Plakat is removed from the grow-out tank/pond/pool and can establish his own territory a nest will be maintained 24/7 if provided with the right conditions, e.g. temperature, pH, stagnant or near stagnant surface, etc. Our mute Plakats can’t croak the way Trichogaster, Macropodus, and Trichopsis species can when presented with ideal conditions. The nests you are seeing are his way of thanking you for providing him with an optimal environment.

You don't mention tank-mates, is it safe to infer he has none? The easier to establish territory.

Now all you need is find a gravid female to help him fill up his nests :wink2:

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
That is a beautiful Betta! where did you get him?
Well, I live in Estonia so my information probably won't help much, but I got him from a local aquarium store I like to visit. They never order any "plain" bettas (regular blue/red veiltails), instead they stock deltas/halfmoons/rosetails etc. in interesting colors. It's always a struggle to go there and NOT to buy anything...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.