The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long drip acclamation the 6 new otos went into my son's 10 gallon betta tank. They all scattered in different directions and he looked like a puppy that just jumped into a flock of birds. Then all of the otos settled into a spot and he ignored them and focused his attention on me, like he always does when I'm around. Then one of the otos left the glass and swam across the tank. I guess this made him realize that this was indeed a fish. He flared at it and nailed it twice. The oto went back to the glass and he ignored it once again. I turned out the lights and left the tank in the dark for the rest of the day. When I checked back in the evening he was swimming around with his chest puffed out.

Does anyone know if this is just an aggression display, or is it a sign of a health problem? The otos don't seem to be injured by his hits, but I might need to separate them if it continues. I talked to my son about getting Little Mack a time out box for being naughty and hitting his friends. He seemed receptive to the idea. It looks like I might be needing to go and buy a breeder box. If I do put him in the breeder box I am planning on putting some stem plants in there with him, should I try to make it so he can't see the otos?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Bettas can't puff their chests out like that.
If he ate the wafer while it was dry and it expanded, that could be causing him some problems. Peas are probably a decent plan. Get a frozen pea, thaw it, take the skin off, and offer him some pieces. Your otos will probably appreciate it, too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sat in a dark room and watched the tank for about 20 minutes. in that time I saw the betta go down to the spirulina wafer 4 times to munch. I don't think there is anything wrong with him other than he's a piggy who found a large piece of food. The good news is while I was watching the tank the otos were flitting all over and the betta didn't bother them at all. I guess he's decided that he likes their food and their not worth bothering with. I didn't see the otos go near the wafers at all, but they were very interested in the crystals on top of the substrate.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Bettas are pigs. They will eat more than they can digest, and this often leads to problems.
A 10 minute bath in 1 gallon of water with 1 teaspoon of Epsom salts should open up his digestive system.

Don't buy breeder boxes, they suck, have bad circulation, have sharp and hard edges too... If you have to, go for the net type.

My betta is a catfish chaser too. Catfishes are armoured, I'm more worried that he will get injured on one of their barbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.