The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been busy with my other tanks. I set up a new 8g for shrimp and totally re-scaped my main tank because the plants took over this weekend. I took all the left over plants and dumped them in the 10 with the beta and my lace catfish. I didn't pay much attention to the tank except dump some food in. I didn't notice the beta Sunday or Monday but I thought he was hiding in the floating plants. Well today I got back to the ten to straighten out the plants and the beta is gone. I know the catfish is WAYYY to big for a 10g. He's nearly 5" long now but he only leaves the cave at night and I've never seen him bothering the beta. There's a top on the tank with just a small hole by the HOB and the cats can't get to it. I'm stumped my beta was fat fine and healthy. Could the lace cat have eaten him? I can't imagine that either since the beta was mature and good size I looked around the stand to see if he jumped out. He's just vanished. The catfish does look like he's been eating well :icon_sad:

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Synods will eat everything they can fit in their mouths... and they've got big mouths! Probably nabbed your betta while he was sleeping. :/

·
Registered
403 Posts
It's the part about keeping animals that I hate, when they go missing!

Back in the day I had an all white betta with red and blue fins. One day I was giving his tank a scrub and he jumped out of the cup I had him in. I couldn't find him. I thought my dogs ate him. turns out he was under the counter where the linoleium was curled up. I wouldn't have found him unless my dog sniffed there. He lived another year :)

I've had 2 go under my fridge :icon_sad: Even with a lid. they jumped out in the small area near the filter.

If you check the floor, don't just check the area around the tank... they can flip flop their butts across a room.

I've also had my mystery snail do this 2 times as well. Once I thought he was toast, all dried out. He's still kickin though! (also found behind fridge)

·
Registered
576 Posts
I thought my dogs ate him. turns out he was under the counter where the linoleium was curled up. I wouldn't have found him unless my dog sniffed there. He lived another year :)

I've had 2 go under my fridge :icon_sad: Even with a lid. they jumped out in the small area near the filter.

If you check the floor, don't just check the area around the tank... they can flip flop their butts across a room.

I've also had my mystery snail do this 2 times as well. Once I thought he was toast, all dried out. He's still kickin though! (also found behind fridge)
Yup the jumper Betta's! Found mine in the carpet one day probably there for 20 minutes ~ survived. Also jumped again into *thankfully* a bucket of old water when i was doing maintenance. I left for a second and then found him swimming around in there.

Sorry about your betta though Whitesage. Having Fish that are personal sucks :frown:.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts