The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread a few weeks ago about my plants not doing too well and most people suggested that I had either too little CO2 or a calcium deficiency. Since then, I decided to test my kh and gh and found that they are very low. My kh and gh are both under 2 degrees and my ph shifts from 6.0 (the lowest number on APIs test kit) and 6.4. I was thinking about raising all of these by using Baking Soda and seachem gh booster or adding crushed coral to my filter. I think I definitely need to add kh as a ph buffer because my ph swings kind of often. What would you guys recommend doing?

·
Registered
171 Posts
The crushed coral is a good idea. You can also use crushed seashells or cuttlefish bone. I wouldn't use baking soda except for water changes, as it could cause ph swings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I'm guessing you use straight tap water? You could get a RO unit and remineralize the water to the desired gh/kh. That's what I did and it works great, albeit with a little more work and forethought needed.

Barring that you, you could skip the RO step and add the remineralizer to the tap water to get your desired gh/kh, but I wonder whether that's a great idea because your tap may vary with respect to TDS, gh, and kh over time. So you couldn't reliably add the same amount of remineralizer each time. It would be a moving target. with RO water, you're always starting at 0, so once you figure out the amount needed to hit your target, it's the same every time.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.