The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I had a 6 gallon tank with a betta, small plecco and a zebra snail full of plants. It contracted Ich and I didn’t catch it until it was a bad case so my Betta ended up passing during treatment and my plecco died a few days later. I think they caught it because the tank was over stocked so I was in the middle of transferring them to a 14 gallon tank when I caught it. So now I have a 14 gallon tank full of plants with one zebra snail. It has been over a week since then I have had my heater on 88-90°. I’ve read mixed opinions on snails and ick and how they’re affected. I still see spots on my snail, but my question is can Ich survive on only snails and if so what is the best course of action? I have super ick cure but I’m afraid of staining my new tank. *Photo below is my snail and current tank set up.
Plant Water World Organism Aquatic plant

Green Fluid Fish Fish supply Marine biology

· Registered
220 Posts
Supposedly, ick can’t survive about 80 degrees. I think you’re cooking your tank to death. I would highly recommend turning it down. If it’s been that high for a week, than the ick should be looooong gone.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve never heard that ick can infect snails, and seeing ick spots on snail shell is even weird. You may be treating fantom ick that kill your fish.
I’ve been researching it for the past week or so and for the most part it says ick can attach itself to snails but it doesn’t affect the snail. I haven’t found an answer on how long ick can survive on a snail before dying off though. I’ve heard ick attack is plant and snail safe, do you think that’s a good option to be on the safer side?

· Registered
220 Posts
I’ve been researching it for the past week or so and for the most part it says ick can attach itself to snails but it doesn’t affect the snail. I haven’t found an answer on how long ick can survive on a snail before dying off though. I’ve heard ick attack is plant and snail safe, do you think that’s a good option to be on the safer side?
Do you mean Victoria green? Nasty stuff. Not recommended. Worse for your fish than the ick, and it discolors everything.
My personal recommendation is to keep the heater at 81-82. Should cook the ick soon enough. As you no longer have fish, you might as well cook it low and slow, to reduce risk of damaging other organisms in the tank. The snail is not at risk from the ick, but it can be a “carrier”, an unaffected transmitter of the disease. I am at a loss for how long it will hang around on your snail, but, as aforementioned, since nothing in the tank is at risk, I recommend playing it safe. Make sure to keep up on your water changes .I hope this was helpful. Let us know if you have further questions.

· Registered
424 Posts
Believe it or not but Flourish Excel kills ick pretty efficiently and is quite safe (especially compared to typical medications). And high temperatures may kill your plants faster than ick. Anyway, I've never heard that it can survive on snails, so IMHO your tank should be good to go after a couple of weeks to be safe.

· Registered
220 Posts
Believe it or not but Flourish Excel kills ick pretty efficiently and is quite safe (especially compared to typical medications). And high temperatures may kill your plants faster than ick. Anyway, I've never heard that it can survive on snails, so IMHO your tank should be good to go after a couple of weeks to be safe.
82-84 F for two days should be efficient.
Both of these are true, and that’s why your situation confuses me. I begin to think this is not ick.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any idea on what it could be? Both my betta and plecco had severe white spots and I caught the betta trying to scratch herself on plants. Since I’ve increased heat I’ve noticed worms and other types of organisms on the glass that I believe to be planaria and limpets. But it seems like my snail’s white spots are going away. I just ordered kordans herbal ick attack since I won’t be putting fish in that tank for a while I figured I’d play it safe.

· Registered
18 Posts
I've used Kordon's ich attack, and in combination with raising the temps, was able to cure my ich in 3-4 days. Ich attack is milder on the ich medication spectrum, so if you dose it early enough you should be able to resolve it.

I didn't have much luck with just raising temps alone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts