The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Throw it in a food processor for a few seconds, then spread that paste on rocks, driftwood, etc, and wait for it to fill in emersed. After a few week, it'll root, and in a month or two, it will be super lush and filled in.

There are of course lots of other options, but this one has worked for me the most and it also depends on the circumstances of your tank, and what you plan to do with said moss.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Throw it in a food processor for a few seconds, then spread that paste on rocks, driftwood, etc, and wait for it to fill in emersed. After a few week, it'll root, and in a month or two, it will be super lush and filled in.

Do you add anything to the moss or just use the blender to chop it up fine; I ran across this article a bit back and sound similar.
Emersed moss
Also does the moss have any issues transitioning from emersed to submersed?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Also I hear using buttermilk and water gel (from diapers) to make it a bit thicker in paste. I did it once but accidentally let it die from drying out =/

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I just super glue my moss to things. Works like a charm.
Super glue is my favorite way of sticking moss onto either rocks or wood. I just shred the moss into 0.5" pieces and use a dab of super glue on the rock/wood and stick the moss onto it. Then all you do is put it in the water and you are set

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
Also I hear using buttermilk and water gel (from diapers) to make it a bit thicker in paste. I did it once but accidentally let it die from drying out =/
:icon_eek: I thought for a moment I was reading replies for a cooking inquiry!

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Don't make me break out the ole' duckweed soup recipe, Anthony!

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
yeah emersed (DSM = Dry Start Method) is the best way. Keeping the environment moist while the painted moss mixture attaches to the hardscape's surface is ideal.

·
Registered
576 Posts
idk about substrate - I guess it would cling to it but that's like chris farley when he was holding onto that tiny plant in "Black Sheep" for dear life. Better off spreading it on a mesh or something that could possible keep it from moving in the current.

Now I could be totally wrong also so I guess give it a try - worst case is you will have grown moss attached to a bit of substrate

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
A better way might be to put small pebbles into the sand - no idea about the density of various soils - almost flush, then apply the moss to them.

You could make areas of varying topography the same way. That's what I'm doing in my 5g nano.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Would 'finely chopped' work instead of blended to a mush? I am food processor-less, but I think I could get a hold of a sharp knife :]

·
Registered
576 Posts
Well of course - you could stick a patch of moss on a rock, it will cling to it sooner or later. The reason why people blend it because they never use their blender oh course! haha no, they do it because it's easier to apply and gives a nice even effect to it (google moss graffiti).

Try to chop is as small as possible and then apply it to the surface your looking to moss up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts