The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to get rid of snails from different type of Vallisneria with out hurting the plants??
I am looking on moving some Vallisneria from one tank to the other and I don't want the Snails to move with the plants.
Thank you for help

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
A salt dip will cause the snails to detach and die. Make some concentrated salt water, submerge the plant for 5 minutes, rinse and move. It will kill snail eggs and adult snails.

I've never tried it with vallisneria, but it hasn't hurt any plants I've used it on. You can likely keep the roots out of the water without problems if you're worried.

Other options are bleach dips, alum dips, potassium permanganate dips, and manual cleaning of the plants.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the salt dip idea. How much salt would you use??
I think bleach would hurt Vallisneria

·
Registered
472 Posts
I used the salt dip and it didn't work for me. I bought an assassin when the numbers got high and the plants got holey. The numbers have been going down.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I used the salt dip and it didn't work for me. I bought an assassin when the numbers got high and the plants got holey. The numbers have been going down.
Well poop, it's always worked for me. Buyer beware I guess. If you want to try it, I dissolve about a cup of salt in a tall narrow gallon container.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I feel bad killing them, I always adored my mystery snails.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't manage to find and shops in the U.S that would supply it, but I would have thought a co.uk site would deliver to the states?

·
Registered
528 Posts
eSHa Gastropex - Aquatic Snail Treatment For Snail Problems, I always find it works and it's harmless to fish.
A note of caution if you use this treatment for plants to go in a tank with shrimp, rinse well after using it as it contains copper and will kill shrimp as well as snails.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts