The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I had a rude awakening:

There was water all over the tank stand. The tank level was lower but not so much that I think this is a fast leak. It looks very slow.

The tank is a planted nano 5gallon with a betta in it.

My question is: what is the best steps to take to seal the leak. I don't want to tear down the whole tank. It's only 5gal and just when I got everything working right: no algae, growing plants, happy betta, this happens.

I was thinking of taking off the equipment: filters, co2 (paintball), etc. Of course transfer the betta into a temp place (it is a betta, pouring some tank water into a small bowl should work).

Then lift up the tank to see where the leak is and try to use silicone glue/sealant to fix it?

Is this what you would do? Does this sound right?

Any further advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS: I'm heading off to work and won't be able to check posts until later, but I'll log in this evening to get people's advice before making an attempt to fix this.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Oddly enough, simple 5G's cost about as much as a 10G, if not more in some places. Yeah, it doesn't make a bit of sense. Financial issues aside, I would also recommend simply replacing it. You'll spend a good % of the cost of a new tank on a tube of silicone. The smaller manual-squeeze tubes are also a beast to work with, and you most likely won't like the end result. Lastly, you'll have everything laying around waiting for the silicone to cure, when you can just replace it and put everything back in place.

Just buy a new one.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Even if it's a slow leak now, it might quickly turn into a fast one, especially if you try to lift/move the tank while full of water. If you want to examine the tank, you should probably drain the water at least .. and if it is leaking from the bottom, I don't think you can seal it from the outside. Personally, that size tank, I would buy a replacement and just transfer everything over. It'll be a PITA, sure, but beats the worst-case scenario. (You might want to keep your betta in a smaller container for a while. The stand itself might be water-damaged and may need drying time or repair.)

Boxes of water are fun, aren't they?

Best of luck with the repair/replacement!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone

sounds like replacing the 5 gal is the way to go. I hope either petsmart or petco has the 5gal available tomorrow. so far, the leak has been manageable. the water does seem to be coming from the bottom corner of the tank. I'm heading off to petsmart and/or petco tomorrow to replace it. rats! I guess there is no short cuts to just redoing the tank after the tear down.

appreciate the advice! thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.