The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not bought or otherwise transacted fish in many years as have had a thriving colony of endlers that of course produce endless offspring. In the past I have given excess back to my local LFS. But I don't really like my local LFS and suspect they just throw them in a feeder tank. I've read some articles that state endlers are becoming more rare or at least more genetically blended with guppies to where the original endler is lost. Mine are from the same group I bought in maybe 2015 and do not appear to be hybrids (but I am no expert on that).

I am interested in understanding if there is a market for endlers and the easiest venues, online and otherwise, to unload them when needed, to people who actually want endlers in their tank (not as snacks for existing fish). My preference would be to give out a "mixed bag" of endlers of different sizes and sex for just packing/shipping cost or free for pickup. Like one avenue I was thinking is to find a local fish group and post ads on their site. Then I may not even need to ship. Craigs list is too shady. What are the avenues I should explore? Again looking for EASY although learning how to ship fish sounds like an interesting experience to at least try once.

·
Registered
206 Posts
In my opinion your best bet would be to join a local fish club. Many people would be more than happy to have some endlers and chances are would be willing to give you something in return.

As an afterthought if that group has really been going for that long you might want to add some genetic diversity

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Agreed on a local fish club. Are there any other LFSs relatively near you? It could be worth the drive to a better LFS if you can get a good standing with them, since there'll hopefully be better quality fish and stuff there...

There's also AquaBid.

Maybe I'll hit ya up once I've moved and if my water is super hard!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Late to this but I just found a great home for Platy fry by putting an add on that App called Neighborhood. Do you have that where you live?

I had to sift through a fair amount of nonsense (people who wanted them bcs they're cute but they had zero fish experiencnce, etc)

But a few days later got a response from a local fish geek with multiple tanks!

Catching them in a planted tank was hard - wish I'd of thought of a fish trap.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
There is also GetGills - sort of like Aquabid, but more hobbyist-centered, and not a lot of commercial places listing there.

And +1 for local fish club! Even though they're not meeting IRL lately, the FB pages are usually decently active, and mine has been having meetings via Zoom/Google Meeting, etc. A meetup-handoff should be fairly straightforward to coordinate.

Actually, the NH club had an online auction in lieu of the customary Fall Aquarium Club auction. They had two pickup/dropoff points (in NH and MA), and (to my understanding of how it worked) some immensely DEDICATED hobbyists did a 3-stop run, picking up lots in NH, going to MA to drop those off and pick up lots from the MA folks, then returning to NH with the MA-sourced lots to distribute. Hat's off to them for trying something different and handling the logistics!

I know how you feel, not wanting your "babies" to just become feeders. This may not appeal to you, but when I had a lot of things going on, life-wise (father in hospice, changes at work, and newly married) I couldn't deal with my hugely prolific Endler colony getting over-crowded, but didn't want to give them all up, either. I put a Plakat Betta in the tank, and he was a very efficient "baby control", dispatching newborns very quickly. I had mixed feelings about that, but it did work out OK, so that only a few made it to adulthood, and I could put the population "on hold" for a bit until things settled down. Like I said, not a wonderful option, but it did ease the need to move youngsters to grow-out tanks, etc.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's probably hard to sell/distribute them as class n (no guppy mix) without some sort of documentation so you might not get a ton of interest as there are online sellers who have documentation that says their line is pure endler. It doesn't sound like you want the fry to become food so I won't offer any other thoughts...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.