The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need to reapropreate my 20 gallon shrimp tank for a discus grow out tank. I am moveing all my PFR's/Rillis/Cherries to my 10 gallon, and by Blue velvets to my 5.5, in essence createing a shrimp stand. What will be the best way to get most to all my cherries in one or 2 takes. I was thinking building some sort of shrimp trap out of a 20 oz plastic soda bottle, thoughts?

Also can you guys give me a sugestion for lighting the 10 gallon and the 5.5. I am converting to LED on all tanks except my 55. Both shrimp tanks will mostly be moss to keep it low maintance. Thanks,

Curt

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I've found in the time I put a trap together, wait for them to go for it, only get a percentage anyways, I could have netted them all out and I just sit there with a net, a container and some time and net them now. Traps never worked well for me and the time you wait, you could have netted them and already had them in their new home. Plus by netting them all at once, you can get them all in a container and then acclimate at once.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I have about 50+ in the tank. I have had 4 pregers in the last couple weeks and I am sure there are baby shrimp in there too. I have to pull out all the hard scape and will give netting a try when it is time to move. I knew there was a reason I bought the plastic transfer box. Also what nets are you guys using?

Curt

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I get a plastic tote or something and put some tank water in and put the rocks/wood/plants in there as there will be babies all stuck in them. I just took out some DW to trim the moss on last week and had like 10-15 babies in there after shaking the thing out in the tank, hanging it over the tank for other shrimp to jump of into the water. Did the same to another tank but put it just in a metal tin. 3 mins later I see an adult CRS crawl out from the wood looking hey, where is the water, i'm getting dry in here. lol. They are sneaky.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
For lighting just use an led bulb in a home depot metal clamp-on. So cheap and works really well.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I use 2 bottles. But with the standard bottle trap (cut top off and invert it) It seems that shrimp get stressed cause its crowded in there.

So I take 2 same water bottles. The first bottle I cut the top funnel part off. Then the second bottle I cut a hole in the middle of the whole bottle to snugly fit the top funnel of the other bottle. This way I can put food on both sides and lay the bottle down on its side. It gives more room for shrimp and they arent running around franticly inside.

When im satisfied that I have enough I open the bottle and pour them into a container.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.