The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start moving some of my cherry shrimp from the 6 gallon to the 55 gallon.

Whats the best way to catch and move them?

I think they would hold on tight to the net so I was thinking of dropping a clean tall shot glass with an algae wafer on the bottom, then I could just pick it up and out. The water parameters are very close in both tanks so I should be able to just drop them in.

How do you breeders capture them for shipping?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys I tried that at 1st but its planted and the shrimp would scatter when the net came into the tank. I thought I might need a smaller net.

Then I dropped a wafer into the tank, put the net in there near it, in a somewhat clear area and waited for a good number to start munching and then just scooped like you said. Worked like a charm.

thanks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks guys I tried that at 1st but its planted and the shrimp would scatter when the net came into the tank. I thought I might need a smaller net.

Then I dropped a wafer into the tank, put the net in there near it, in a somewhat clear area and waited for a good number to start munching and then just scooped like you said. Worked like a charm.

thanks.
Thats called baiting.. laying the bait on the net.:hihi:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I heard of people constructing a trap out of a plastic bottle that once contained liquid norishment for humans. Anyways, the top would be cut off and inverted, and food wouldbe placed iinside. Wait a few minutes, lift up bottle, empty in a net or tank, BAM! shrimp in a new place!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I use a plastic cup cake container I cut a square hole in the top lid
next
cut a piece of #5 mesh and snap it in the lid
next place food in the container and place in the tank
5 minutes later I have 20 - 30 medium to small sized RCS
ready for shipment.
this size mesh leaves the adults and others (plecos,SAE,fish...) out.

Attachments

·
Registered
890 Posts
I use a plastic cup cake container I cut a square hole in the top lid
next
cut a piece of #5 mesh and snap it in the lid
next place food in the container and place in the tank
5 minutes later I have 20 - 30 medium to small sized RCS
ready for shipment.
this size mesh leaves the adults and others (plecos,SAE,fish...) out.
Sweet trap. I like that a lot!

-Ryan

·
Registered
780 Posts
Just drop ice cubes into the tank until the shrimp are groggy from the cold... slow shrimp are much easier to catch. :tongue:

·
Registered
659 Posts
As others have suggested, when I want to move shrimp from my 5 gallon to my other tanks, I put a green net in the tank with an algae wafer in it, let that sit there until there are a lot of shrimp in it, then scoop it up. I usually get at least 15-20 shrimp per "catch" that way and it doesn't disturb the plants at all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.