The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people,
Im a lowtech guy and I want to get into co2 and ferts and I don't know of any good test kits for the job. What do you guys use?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Hey people,
Im a lowtech guy and I want to get into co2 and ferts and I don't know of any good test kits for the job. What do you guys use?
I use API master kit, API phosphate and API GH/KH kit. There are better ones out there but many of them are more expensive. Once you get things where you want, you really won't use them very often anyway so I went the cheap route and what my LFS happened to have in stock.

·
Registered
588 Posts
+1 with with everything Zorfox said.

I used my tests frequently until I got things dialed in because I modified the EI low light weekly dose recommendations to better suit my tanks.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Hey people,
Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Hi SmellsFishy,

Although a Master test kit is nice I only use the Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate tests during a new tank start up. The PH test kit is fine but the High Range is unnecessary.

The kits I use on a regular basis (and like) are:

API PH Test Kit
API KH Test Kit
Sera GH Test Kit (I find the API version very difficult to read)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Hi SmellsFishy,

Although a Master test kit is nice I only use the Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate tests during a new tank start up. The PH test kit is fine but the High Range is unnecessary.

The kits I use on a regular basis (and like) are:

API PH Test Kit
API KH Test Kit
Sera GH Test Kit (I find the API version very difficult to read)
I use the api master test kit. Also fyi for people like me who have high ph it is necessary as the regular ph test wont register my ph

·
Registered
398 Posts
I use the api master test kit. Also fyi for people like me who have high ph it is necessary as the regular ph test wont register my ph
Yep! I like the API Master Test Kit as well... easy to use and easy to read. My PH is out of the tap at 8.0 but I age it as well, where it will fall to 7.8, so I do like the High range and regular PH reagents being included.

One question though - I am getting back into a High tech CO2 tank in the near future and when I used to have one several years ago one of the test kits I used to use was the Red Sea PO4 phosphate Mini-Lab test kit. Unfortunately it appears to be discontinued.:frown: At the time it was pretty well the only kit I found useful due to it's range (0.0 to 3 PPM)...

What Phosphate test kits are good and applicable to Planted tank folks nowadays?

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I use the api phosphate kit. Range is 0.0 to 0.25, 0.5, 1.0,2.0,5.0 and 10.0.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
I bought the Seachem Phosphate test but I can't really read it .. colors too close & range doesn't seem suit my purpose. I won't be buying it again.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
The API test has worked well for me. The colors over 3-4ppm are all similar. However, as long as it's over 2ppm I'm happy. I don't care about +/- 1ppm or so. Nutrients in the planted tank are more like hand grenades anyway. Just get in the ball park and you're good.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Woot!

Friend of mine gave me a Milwaukee Phosphate tester kit!!

And 42 Reagent Packs to add with it! (And they don't expire for several months!!)

Not a bad unit! Measures 0.00 - 2.50 ppm at 0.01 resolution and supposedly accurate to ±0.04 ppm ±4% of the displayed reading.

Little pricey if you had to buy it (but not outrageous by any stretch of the imagination!) Not too expensive to operate either - a box of 100 sachets of reagent can be had for about $23.00

1 - 14 of 14 Posts