The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unsure whether to post my situation here, Planted Nano Tanks, or Low Tech forum.

I have a 2.5-gallon betta fish tank that measures 12 in. x 6 in. x 8 in. However, the water goes up to 7 in. - 7.5 in. at most.
After doing some strenuous research on the internet of whether or not I should require a filter for a tank this small, I've decided that I should have a backup plan. I'm also very confused as to how often I should to partial water changes (20-30%) and major water changes (50%+). I thought to myself that I should do 50% every week, but I've been reading from people online that I should do a 50% water change EVERY DAY. I'm thinking that it is a bit excessive for something so small. My tank is cycled properly. I did have a filter before but it was an internal power filter (Tetra Whisper) that made the overall look of the tank incredibly ugly. I'm in need of your ideas, opinions, and product recommendations as to what I should do regarding keeping the water in my tank healthy and a filter that does not intrude too much into the swimming space of my betta.

Right now, the way my tank is set up is that there's a barrel decoration in the back left corner; Anubias Nana in front of it (front left corner); Water Wisterias lined up throughout the back to back right corner; a small heater in between the Wisteria and decoration; a Marimo moss ball in the middle-right; and a lucky bamboo plant in front right corner. I can provide pictures if you guys would like.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hang on back would be your best option as the bulk of the filter isn't in the tank. It would also add water volume. A 50% weekly change should be fine.

I would monitor nitrate - if the 50% weekly keeps it steady at reasonable levels you are fine - if nitrates increase or are high you can increase the changes to reduce it. There are various factors when it comes to water changes. Small volumes of water need bigger or more frequent changes as there is less dilution, a planted tank will cope better than unplanted, how much and what you feed effects waste produced etc. that's why you get differences in recommendations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
970 Posts
Either would work, IMHO I would get the azoo 60 or similar since you would take up less room in the tank. Either way you go they should work fine. The little HOBs also add a little more volume (although not much) to the tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks for the info guys. I just ordered the Azoo Mignon Filter 60. Here's to hoping that it'll improve the appearance of the tank's aesthetics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts