The Planted Tank Forum banner

Best type of water for EI solution?

1026 10
Should I use RODI? Distilled? Tap? Someone also said boiled and cooled. I'm planning to add a teaspoon of distilled vinegar to my micros also, would this be ok? How about preventing mould in the bottles? Thanks!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Should I use RODI? Distilled? Tap? Someone also said boiled and cooled. I'm planning to add a teaspoon of distilled vinegar to my micros also, would this be ok? How about preventing mould in the bottles? Thanks!
I use RO water, never had an issue.

I also periodically put a cap full of excel into the solution if I keep it at room temp. Definitely keep it in the dark though. A cap full of 3% H2O2 every now and then would probably work as well. I won a beer fridge from work, so I keep my fert solutions in that now, along with some of the properly intended beverages.

·
Banned
6,197 Posts
That all depends on your source water. For the vast majority, tap is just fine.

Now that being said, I use RO water. Partly because I am on a well with a softener, but mostly because I just like projects.

And yes, many people add distilled vinegar to their micro solution.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
It is generally held that RO, RO/DI, and distilled water are all 'too pure' for fish and plants as they derive necessary minerals and trace elements from the water through osmosis. For those water types, we would need to add minerals and adjust for pH in order to use them effectively.

I use my well water that is neither soft nor hard and [still] add about a tsp of Equilibrium per 5-10g of fresh well water.

Unless you have liquid rock or have 'special needs' fish, usually properly conditioned potable tap water is just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.