The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Saddletramp
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What options are there for quality test kits. Elos looks good, but there are many others on the market.
Thanks in advance.
Bill

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Define "quality". What specifically are you looking for? A certain level of resolution? Accuracy? A high price tag that makes one assume the test must somehow be better? ;)

API has worked fine for me. Resolution can be enhanced by doubling the volume of water under test, in which case each drop of test reagent represents 0.5 GH or KH. They are accurate, but the GH test in particular is untrustworthy if used past the expiration date marked on the bottle.

It's more important to learn caveats like these, and how to verify test kit operation by mixing calibration solutions. Any test kit can fail, regardless of price or perceived quality. I once spent $40 on a test which API sells for $6, only to find it completely failed. And so did its replacement. Thank goodness I verified it against calibration solutions rather than trusting it based on price.

·
Saddletramp
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
Quality was not define so people would have a more open forum for response.
Your response has answered to that with some interesting and constructive comments
Much appreciated, Bill

·
Registered
522 Posts
What has helped me greatly in the gH department:

I have a white mug that is pretty small. I pour 10mL of aquarium water in that and use the gH test kit from API. The white mug makes it MUCH easier to see the color change. Using 10mL for 0.5 degree resolution like previously mentioned.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I really like the Sera gh/kh tests. Much prefer them to API which I used previously. I'll often double the resolution as suggested above when measuring lower values.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts