The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now I'm looking at picking up a 60p sized tank, although probably a Mr. Aqua 24"x12"x14".

From the reading I've done on here it sounds like a 2x24w T5 should be provide plenty of light w/out overdoing it and growing tons of algae. I'm not planning on using CO2 (initially at least) so I don't want to overdo it on the light but I still want to limit myself and not be able to grow medium-high light plants if I decide to add CO2 later.

Can anybody with some experience with 2x24w lights or 18g tanks offer some advice on which brand of fixture I should pick up and what color temp of bulbs I should start off with?

I've also been looking hard for something with LED moonlights built-in but it doesn't look like there are many options until you start getting into high-output 4x fixtures and what not. Something like the Coralife T5 HO Lunar but in a 2 bulb model would be ideal.

Thanks in advance.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
A double T5HO fixture over this tank will most certainly require CO2. Not sure what brand to recommend as I build my own fixtures, but I am hearing good things about Catalina. Do a quick search for that term here on the board and some good discussions should come up.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I was using 2x24 T5OH on my ADA 60p but I figure it was way too much. So I wrapped foil loosely around the rear bulb as the rear had my stem plants which were closer to the surface and therefore would not need as intense lighting. I'd say if there were such thing as a 36 watt 24" fixture that would be perfect for a 60P but I don't plan on a 2 bulb 2x18 watt fixture DiY just for this.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow, for some reason I thought 2x24w wouldn't be crazy overkill...

if that's too much light then what do most people do for 60p's? there must be some middle ground between an LED bar that doesn't produce enough light and a 2-bulb T5 that is way too much right?

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
People normally raise it about 7-12" off the top of the actual tank. I personally just did not want to deal with the algae and deficiencies that I saw were developing but I also didn't feel like building a light stand so alum foil it was. But yes you can use the 2x24 just be prepared to use less of it or more co2 and ferts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.