The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was wondering which snails you all suggest for a 10 gallon tank with orange rili shrimp. It is a heavily planted tank so obviously I do not want anything that eats the plants. Thank you!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I recently got a few nerite snails a few days ago and really like how they look. Picked them up at pets smart for cheap. I also have a few assassin snails but they always hide during the day so I rarely see them.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
can't go wrong with nerite snails. They never have touched my plants and can't breed in freshwater. Only downside is they will lay eggs all over the place (which doesn't bother me in the slightest). They are wonderful algae control snails.

Ben

·
Registered
651 Posts
1 horned nerite will help keep surfaces algae free.

I like 1 mystery snail, but keep in mind it'll end up around the size of a golf ball when fully grown.

Lots of people like ramshead snails.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I have not seen this happen, but I have read other people report that if the assassins run out of food, they will have a go at the nerites. No idea on if this is expected behavior or just an isolated incident. It is enough that I do not have my assassins in with my nerites.

Ben

Bump: @candaceSch1 They are essentially the same snail, just one has horns. They are a different genus and species, but are pretty much used the same way for our purposes. They lay eggs, but they eggs cannot develop in freshwater, so no worries about overpopulation.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have not seen this happen, but I have read other people report that if the assassins run out of food, they will have a go at the nerites. No idea on if this is expected behavior or just an isolated incident. It is enough that I do not have my assassins in with my nerites.

Ben

Bump: @candaceSch1 They are essentially the same snail, just one has horns. They are a different genus and species, but are pretty much used the same way for our purposes. They lay eggs, but they eggs cannot develop in freshwater, so no worries about overpopulation.
Hi Ben

yup Ive seen that bring said about assassin snails and nerite snails. The two nerite I got are just a little bit smaller than a quarter and I have 4 blue rams that are the size of a nickel been in the tank with the assassin for a few months now and its still alive. Knock on wood lol. The assassin snails normally go for the smaller brown snails that WAS over taken my tank but since I feed less and the assassins are feeding off them I think they are under control now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.