The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be ordering plants online, and I would like to know how to create a snail dip? what chemical is best to use? and how long do the plants remain in the dip?

·
Banned
628 Posts
Alum. Or better yet, culture tissue. Or better better yet, a loach. Only problem there is loaches like to be in a school. You use a large amount, like a tablespoon per liter as I recall. It's expensive. It's $5.00 for two ounces. You put the new plants in a bowl of warm water with the alum. Then you rub every leaf like you're trying to rub algae off of them only you're trying to rub snail eggs off. It's a tedious procedure. Minimum five minutes soak. Half an hour would probably be better. It will take you a while rubbing all the leaves anyway. Every aquarist should have some alum on hand IMO. I'm out of it now. Maybe I'll go drop $25.00 on some alum. There are different kinds of alum. You want the one for canning and pickling.

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Loaches, that's a good idea do loaches eat baby shrimp? They probably do, but just to make sure? Any specific type?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.