The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in the countryside where our water choices are:
- from the well: liquid rock, conductivity >2700us, heavy iron, so hard that soap does not lather in the shower, clothes or dishwashers!
- rain in a cistern: neutral pH, very soft, maybe 1dGH, ~40us conductivity
Needless to say, we use the cistern water for everything! I would love to keep shrimp in my tank, but I am not interested in trying to maintain tanks that need dosing with mineral supplements or require a subtle/constant mix of well water. Are there species of shrimp that can thrive at lower hardness and not have issues from low minerals?
thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks to you both for the quick feedback. I hate to have to tweak water chemistry unless it is vital, but I do covet those shrimp! so what do shrimpers dose soft water with? you guys talk about ideal GH, but if the deficiency symptom is poor exoskeleton formation/molting, then we are really talking about Ca, not so much Mg, right? CO3 is probably important too then? is there an ideal KH? CaCO3 is not easy to dissolve in water, in my experience. but with a little CaCl2 and NaHCO3, I should be able to hit target GH/KH without too much hassle. thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,988 Posts
Ideal KH for Crystals is 0-1.

Neos can tolerate KH that's waaaay higher like KH of 8 with no problem.

The reason shrimp keepers use remineralizing products specifically for shrimp (for the most part) is because all minerals that are ideal for shrimp (including iodine) are already in the mix. Nothing else to add. Cheaper and less hassle that way.

·
Registered
270 Posts
We live in the countryside where our water choices are:
- from the well: liquid rock, conductivity >2700us, heavy iron, so hard that soap does not lather in the shower, clothes or dishwashers!
- rain in a cistern: neutral pH, very soft, maybe 1dGH, ~40us conductivity
Needless to say, we use the cistern water for everything! I would love to keep shrimp in my tank, but I am not interested in trying to maintain tanks that need dosing with mineral supplements or require a subtle/constant mix of well water. Are there species of shrimp that can thrive at lower hardness and not have issues from low minerals?
thanks

If you don't want to remineralize water, then simply take both the well water and rain water, and mix the two of them. Perhaps start with 75% rain water and 25% well water and see what the GH, KH, TDS and pH are at.

Then depending on the type of shrimp you are going to get, adjust the water to be more or less hard, write down the ratio, and then you'd be good to go.

You can even keep a (new, never used) rubbermaid garbage can and fill it up to the desired water mix so you don't need to keep fiddling and mixing water during water changes.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got some decent #s on my well water, after my own reagents were expired, an ill-fated trip to PetCo (see post), and a purchase of 'new' reagents from eBay that were in fact 5 years old. Anyhoo...my GH is 24dGH. Yep, 425ppm. I can cut that with 3 parts rain to get 6dGH. But, that will give me about 1.3 for KH (pure wellwater was 5.5dKH). For the shrimp, and the plants, should I bump that KH up to 4 or so? If my math is right, about 1tsp baking soda per 20 gallons tankwater ought to do it. thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
Finally got some decent #s on my well water, after my own reagents were expired, an ill-fated trip to PetCo (see post), and a purchase of 'new' reagents from eBay that were in fact 5 years old. Anyhoo...my GH is 24dGH. Yep, 425ppm. I can cut that with 3 parts rain to get 6dGH. But, that will give me about 1.3 for KH (pure wellwater was 5.5dKH). For the shrimp, and the plants, should I bump that KH up to 4 or so? If my math is right, about 1tsp baking soda per 20 gallons tankwater ought to do it. thanks
NOOOOOOOO!!!! Do NOT adding anything like baking soda to water that's meant for shrimp! Plus shrimp don't need KH. I keep shrimp, whether it's pumpkins or CRS in 0-1 KH.

It would really help if you could tell us exactly what type of shrimp you are looking to keep. CRS? OEBT? Neos? Sulawesi? PRL?PBL?

If you don't want to mix rain water with tap water like I suggested, then follow sayurasem's advice below. I only suggested mixing rain water with tap because that's what you've already have at your disposal, right?

KH should be 0-1 for CRS. Neos varies 0-7
If I were you I use that soft water and add remineralizer. Easier to control and trace if anything went wrong.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do NOT adding anything like baking soda to water that's meant for shrimp! Plus shrimp don't need KH. I keep shrimp, whether it's pumpkins or CRS in 0-1 KH.
ok, thanks, good to know.

It would really help if you could tell us exactly what type of shrimp you are looking to keep. CRS? OEBT? Neos? Sulawesi? PRL?PBL?
I don't know yet. I like CRS and RCS, but it might depend on what I can find locally. sorry I can't be more specific yet. I'm just trying to get 'ballpark' appropriate water.

If you don't want to mix rain water with tap water like I suggested, then follow sayurasem's advice below. I only suggested mixing rain water with tap because that's what you've already have at your disposal, right?
yep, that's the plan, mixing rain and well water ~3:1.

do you drink this rainwater? here is a whole thread on using/not using rainwater.. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?87014-Using-Rain-Water&highlight=rainwater
yep, I posted in that thread, describing my system for collecting and filtering rainwater, as well as the perils of tapwater. thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.