The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was planning on looking to buy a RO system to filter water and my wifes parent has one or so they claim but when testing the water with a TDS it comes out as 400-450 TDS which i'm sure is a dirty filter or not a RO system... SOOOO..... my question now is what is the best system to get? any list? from the best and price range to the worst with price range... this could also help others who are in the market for a system also not just me

another question is that RO systems come with a storage tank... is there a way to store the filter RO water into a larger container like a 55 gallon trash bin?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm hoping to eventually get an RO system as well. Someone mentioned in another thread that you can find used RO systems on Craig's List, ebay, etc. for around $50. However, for new systems, it looks like the cheapest you'll find start at around $100. A fellow forum member has the product listed in the link below and recommended it to me when I was asking about an affordable RO system.

www.purewaterclub.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=333

As for storing the RO water, there's another thread active right now with someone asking the same question about RO water storage, and it appears that several members use the large plastic trash bins for water storage.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yep. A food grade trash can with a float valve and auto shut off. Once the can is full the float valve causes pressure to build up in the clean water line which triggers the aso to cut off the source water

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have never felt the need for an RO unit for water on a planted tank. Are you keeping Discus or something ? Is your water that bad ? Just curious as to why.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
in another word yes my tap is bad... tds on my tap is anywhere from 450-550... thats almost toxic to human consumption at 600+ which no one should be drinking tap water anyways bu i'm just pointing out the facts here on my tap water.... its a apartment so you can only imagine who else has been playing with this water sort of speak lol....

i see 3 stage filter or 4 even 5 stage filter... is the more stage the better?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Got my filter from Filterguys.com their prices are very fair not only for the filter but also for the replacement filters. They also sell pretty much everything you will need to hook your filter up. I moved and could no longer hook my filter up to a washing machine style water in, so when I called the company they spent 40 minutes with me on the phone explaining what I needed to buy, which they sold online in their store, but they told me I could easily get what I needed from the hardware store if I didn't want to wait. I have a few other friends that use their RO systems and they all have had good experience.

·
Registered
474 Posts
so i was planning on looking to buy a RO system to filter water and my wifes parent has one or so they claim but when testing the water with a TDS it comes out as 400-450 TDS which i'm sure is a dirty filter or not a RO system... SOOOO..... my question now is what is the best system to get? any list? from the best and price range to the worst with price range... this could also help others who are in the market for a system also not just me

another question is that RO systems come with a storage tank... is there a way to store the filter RO water into a larger container like a 55 gallon trash bin?
Bulk Reef Supply has exceptional RO systems and very competitive prices. Their customer service is top notch and shipping is same day. You can buy one of their stock systems or design your own. I have a BRS RO/DI unit and love it. I use a 44 gallon heavy duty BRUTE garbage can from Menards for my storage tank. If you do this, I highly recommend including the Auto Shut off Valve and a float switch for your holding tank.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I agree with the above, a shutoff valve is very useful and easy to set up. I also use a Brute trash can, but will be upgrading to two 55 gallon barrels soon I believe.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
does it matter from a 3 stage filter or a 5 stage filter? i want as low of a tds as i can get...

also what does GPD stand for on RO system? (Gallon Per Day?)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I like the one I got from thefilterguys.biz also because the adapter can just plug into the backyard hose. No installing, Tds is on point too, n fair pricing

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
does it matter from a 3 stage filter or a 5 stage filter? i want as low of a tds as i can get...

also what does GPD stand for on RO system? (Gallon Per Day?)
The more stages the lower the PPM( parts per million) will be, and yes GPD stands for gallons per day.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so when you say ppm would a 5 stage mean lower tds? more filtration while means more filter needing to be change over time...

compare to a 3 stage filter means a higher tds but less filter needed to be purches and change over time...

am i on the money yet? just wanted to see if i am understanding this before i jump the gun and buy something i would regret...

also how often does these filter need to be change out?

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
I don't use RO for my aquarium, because the local tap water is 30-80 tds.
The RO unit is for drinking water. I bought a cheapest 5 stages from ebay more than three years ago, 50G/day unit, with faucet and 4G storage tank, made in Canada, and it was the GE membrane that I pulled the trigger.

the water come out the filter is less than tds 2, apparently the core of the RO is still good after three years of service, thanks to the low tds local tap water.

so when you say ppm would a 5 stage mean lower tds? more filtration while means more filter needing to be change over time...

compare to a 3 stage filter means a higher tds but less filter needed to be purches and change over time...

am i on the money yet? just wanted to see if i am understanding this before i jump the gun and buy something i would regret...

also how often does these filter need to be change out?
3 or 5 stages, make not much difference on output TDS, it is the core, the RO membrane filter that lower the TDS.
look into quality of the RO membrane..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts