The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke the internal heater that I had. Which In-line heater is the best. I'll be use it on a 10 gal, but the house temp gets down to the lower 50's at night and mid 60's during the day when winter roles around so I want a good, solid heater that can heat the water quickly. I'll be running it in-line with a 2213.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
There aren't many on the market, but Hydor's ETH are the best IMO. I have two (using with a 2211 and a 2213) and I'm happy with them so far.

Using a 200W Hydor on your 10 gallon tank shouldn't be a problem. It'll constantly turn on and off to keep the temp constant. I have it on 5.5 and 8.2 gal tanks.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at the hoses on my 2213 and they only said 12/16mm. There is nothing about inches on the hoses. Is there some place else that I need to look?

·
Registered
426 Posts
there is no issue running a stronger heater on a small tank. The heater will just be off most of the time. If you run a weaker heater, it'll have to be on for a longer time to heat the water up.
I'm not so sure of that. It may be different with an inline heater, since water is constantly passing over it, but a regular heater in a tank I think would be different.

I would think that a heater that heats slower would allow more water to pass around it would be more efficient than a heater that is quickly on then off before water has a chance to circulate.

Just a guess though.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I only run smaller heaters on my tanks. Yes, it takes longer to heat up initially, but it maintains the heat just fine once it hits the desired temp. Doing this has saved cooking some of my fish several times.

You only make expensive and rare fish soup once!

The largest tank I have is 80 gallons and I use a 200W hydor inline heater on it. I have a 53 with the same heater and the rest of my tanks all have internal heaters.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I only run smaller heaters on my tanks. Yes, it takes longer to heat up initially, but it maintains the heat just fine once it hits the desired temp. Doing this has saved cooking some of my fish several times.

You only make expensive and rare fish soup once!

The largest tank I have is 80 gallons and I use a 200W hydor inline heater on it. I have a 53 with the same heater and the rest of my tanks all have internal heaters.
More likely just a coincidence, like you said it was only once.

How do you propose a bigger heater is worse?

I can see if a larger one fails you may have less time to react.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I said it only takes once, but I have had many heater malfunctions. I talked with a Friend of mine who keeps some expensive fish. He suggested using a less powerful heater. If it gets stuck on you have much more time to catch the issue before your tank cooks.

Bigger heaters are in no way bad or worse. I am not suggesting that. I am pointing out that you can run efficient tanks with lower watt heaters.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to need a larger heater for winter. My parents let the house get down to the mid-sixtys during the day and who knows how cold it gets during the night. From my experience getting a heater rated for a bigger tank has been to my benefit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.