The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
I am planning to buy a solenoid. There are lots of them on ebay, I am just clueless which one would actually fit the purpose.
The ones that I listed in my primer are ones that are known to work.

What other brass parts do I need ?
I am guessing from co2 tank to regulator I won't need anything, except a perma seal.
A permaseal (or a nylon washer) will suffice, unless your regulator does not come with a CGA320 connection.

From regulator to solenoid do I need any connector ?
Most likely, the regulator will have a 1/4" female port, and the solenoid will have a 1/8" female NPT port. This means that you will need a male to male, 1/4" to 1/8" connector. Of course, you can always buy a solenoid that has a 1/4" female NPT port.

Or between solenoid and the needle valve ?
To go from the solenoid to the needle valve, it will be a similar situation, but it will depend on the fitting on the needle valve.

I am even not sure I need anything between the needle valve and the JBJ bubble counter. The bubble counter seems to have a check valve, if not I guess I will buy a check valve.
Again, this depends on your fittings. The JBJ bubble counter has a 1/8" female NPT port. The fitting on your needle valve will determine what kind of fitting you will need.

The JBJ bubble counter does have a check valve. However, it is always a good idea to have another check valve after your bubble counter and before your diffuser.

I have seen "metering valve" thrown around a few times here and there, thought needle valve is a type of metering valve.
A metering valve is a type of needle valve, not the other way around. A metering valve is a needle valve that is capable of very fine tunes.

Some guidance would be really appreciated.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, please take a look at the CO2 primer that I have written. It is linked in my signature.

Is this dual stage ? It doesn't say anywhere
That particular Smith regulator is not dual stage, I believe.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts