The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a L30"xW12"xD15" tank with two T5 24w bulbs, a flora-grow co2 nano system. I will be putting in a new substrate as previously it was just gravel.

What sort of plants will grow well in this tank?
Is this classified as medium lighting?

Thanks for any advice.
:icon_smil

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
From those specs, you've got medium light.
I'd suggest a good substrate for the tank. Go with fluval plant stratum, 1 17 pound bag would be kosher, 2 bags would be overkill.

You can grow virtually any plant though with that lighting, though you might have issues with reds. I'd put the fixture in the middle of the tank.

Ferts are your friend, and so would a balanced lighting schedule of 4 hours on, 2 hours off and 4 hours on. Co2 does not need to be on 24/7.

-Gordon

·
Registered
544 Posts
Honeslty, do what I am doing. Go through the plant database on here and look at every plant. First make a list of every plant that looks appealing to you. Second, create a spreadsheet of some sort and go back to those plants and start making note of their lighting requirements, location, temperature, propagation, height, etc. I have a huge Google PowerPoint with this information and more and pictures of the plants that I am going to use when I make my final decisions on plants. I also looked through a few books and wrote down plants I liked.

You'll be much happier and better off doing the research. I've been doing it for 2 months now and am not done. I enjoy it, preps me for future setups and not just my current one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have done similar in the past, going through books and plant databases, but I never did a spreadsheet. I got plants which I thougth would do ok, but many of them haven't survived.

Is this because I only had gravel as a substrate or maybe I am missing something else?

So I should be looking for plants that have a medium lighting requirement?

Thanks for any help, I really would like this attempt to work rather than the straggly few plants I have left at the moment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.