The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you all buy your plants from??

I don't live near anybody who sells them locally... so I'm forced to buy online... I usually go with aquariumplants.com but I've heard they just warehouse emerged grown plants.... is that ok? I've done some searching but can't come up with anyone who has as wide as a selection that they do.. ugh

·
Registered
529 Posts
Honestly, the best plant "vendors" are probably your fellow hobbyists here in the swap & shop forums in terms of reasonable pricing, portion sizes you get with your order, and reasonable shipping.

You can try someplace like www.azgardens.com that has decent selection, but definitely check out their shipping costs to consider what that will add to your purchase. Actually, check that with all vendors. It's not cheap unless you reach certain minimums in some cases ($$$$!) to get the free shipping.

Petsolutions.com and liveaquaria.com are options as well. And Aquabid.com. But seriously, I've never found prices online, particularly once you add shipping, that come anywhere close to what you'll find buying from your fellow hobbyists on this forum. If there are a few particular plants you're looking for, go to our swap & shop forum and post a "WTB" (Want to Buy) thread listing what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
will do, thanks!

Is buying ffrom aquariumplants.com ok? (being that they are grown emerged then just warehoused?)
I started my tank with emersed grown crypts (parva, undulata and 2 var of wendtii) and had no issues other than some leaf melt but the new growth came quicker than the old leaves melted away. The plants were very healthy and that is the key. You don't want to go on how they look emersed to decide if you want the plant though because it will be alot different.

As far as shipping goes, when I first ordered my plants I spent $$$$ for next day shipping, it was really a waste, I have had many plants (mainly crypts) shipped now standard priority and they have been fine. They ussually ship out on Monday and I don't put them in the tank till Friday due to my work schedule so if you are concerned about shipping don't. The only think I would worry about is temperature extremes. This is a good time of the year to ship right now.

Len

·
Registered
529 Posts
will do, thanks!

Is buying ffrom aquariumplants.com ok? (being that they are grown emerged then just warehoused?)
That, I'm not sure of. You might want to post the question in the Plants forum. I hadn't heard that theirs were emersed, and scanning through their website I don't find any tips about changing over from emersed to submerged planting. I would assume it wouldn't be a problem otherwise their business model wouldn't be sustainable. :-/ But you know what they say about "assume"...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Here is a comparison shot of the day I planted my crypts (they were all emersed grown and from florida aquatic nurseries) and then a shot 1 month later.

At the top of the pick left to right is a C undulata and a C wendtii 'mi oya' you can see a big difference in the leaves and at the bottom is a C wendtii 'tropica' all converted well and grew substantially in 1 month as the photos show.

The tropica has since been removed and converted back to emersed and it transitioned back quickly as well.

Len

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I think our members on SWAP have about as wide a selection you can find. Everyone I've bought from have taken great pride in shipping very healthly plants. I just got C.Nurii from a member here never saw that at any plant warehouse.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I just placed an order with this company http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/main.sc

Their customer service has been amazing. First off they responded right away to my email with a few questions, they made special arrangements with me for shipping (They offered, I didnt even ask!!)

Then I mentioned that one of their plants I wanted was out of stock.. They told me they had some babies of it, but they were to little to sell so they would throw in a couple free.

They also sell on ebay and had 100 percent positive feedback and their prices were lower then other places I had looked. They combine shipping that made shipping really reasonable.

My plants are due to arrive friday (by special arrangement) and the proof will be in the plant condition, but so far I am very impressed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Swap n shop 4 sho. Aquariumplants.com sells submerged and emersed plants. It just detanks on the plant. They do have some nice plants but I got tired of getting ripped off on shipping. They charge 15 bucks for what should be 6 dollars. I spent 30 bucks on a plant package shipping included and it almost filled my 90 gallon tank.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I don't know about Canada. But that same AquariumPlants.com that the OP asked about does have Canada shipping.
Anyone shipping live plants from anywhere in the world to bring to Canada might get screwed by CBSA (Canada Boarder Services Agency). There are strict laws against shipping live plants, so you may end up losing your shipment. You're better off having a retailer make the shipment request for you. Just my two cents. :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.