The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a lot of money to spend on individual supplements like iron, magnesium, phosphates, etc. so I want to get one bottle that has most of the necessary nutrients. Which one do you guys reccomend? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Liquid? No cheap options there. As far as traces, most of us use Flourish or TMG (Tropica Master Grow). For NPK, Fleet Enema, and garden center K and N could do well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
A similar topic came up a few days ago. By the time you finish reading both pages you should have a pretty basic understanding:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/general-planted-tank-discussion/42993-liquid-fertlizer.html

Basically you will need a Trace fert (Flourish) or buy CSM+B (in bulk for cheap) from www.aquariumfertilizer.com

You will also need N, P, K which is explained in that thread link I posted. (Also can be purchased in bulk for cheap).

For more detailed readings visit www.rexgrigg.com and check out the guides.

·
Registered
32 Posts
SeaChem Flourish.
I also use this iron additives that works really well!!!!
A few drop of this stuff (forgot what the name is), plants grow overnight .. literally.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I guess Greg sells a PMDD premix, which has it all in one. Not the most specific way to dose, but covers the broadbrush for those who just won't dose individually. Not always guaranteed successful this way, but more likely than just dosing Flourish.

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/store/pmdd_premix.php

The one thing some of us forget though, is some folks have plenty of K,N, & P and possibly traces through fish waste. If its a low enough light setup, they may be fine not dosing.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Rex is always good for making things easy to understand.

The only part of the Seachem Flourish line that is worth buying is Excel IMHO

·
Registered
890 Posts
I use K2PO4 from greg watson, Seachem Iron, and Kent Pro-Plant. I do not use CSM+B due to it having copper in it, my shrimp can get harmed. I also do not dose KNO3 (nitrate) because there is enough nitrate coming from shrimp waste...

-Ryan

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you want liquid-Use Yamato green. I'll leave it at that as we went into depth on it last week. But it has all the macros and micros in it for the most part. You can get one with N as well...or supplemental K or P. But the regular should be fine. I love it...

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
I don't have a lot of money to spend on individual supplements like iron, magnesium, phosphates, etc. so I want to get one bottle that has most of the necessary nutrients. Which one do you guys reccomend? Thanks.
How much will you be using? If you have a 10 or 20 gallon tank a 250ml of TMG and an oz of GW will last you many months.......DC

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
If you want liquid-Use Yamato green. I'll leave it at that as we went into depth on it last week. But it has all the macros and micros in it for the most part. You can get one with N as well...or supplemental K or P. But the regular should be fine. I love it...
But Yamato Green is not a fertilizer. It's a supplement (vitamin) under Federal law.

Once again here is the break down of Yamato Green:

The following is a weight/weight analysis of the minerals and nutrients found in Yamato Green:
Chelated Fe 0.1%, S 0.65%, Mg 0.4%, Mn 0.005%, K 0.8%, B 0.004%, Zn 0.005%, Cl 0.7%, Cu 0.0015%, Vitamins essential to plant growth, HCl (to prevent unwanted mold growth and to adjust pH), Molybdenum, and traces of minor elements which may or may not be consumed by plants, such as Selenium.
Now if I were the owner of Yamato Green I would cease and desist calling it a fertilizer right now. Seachem at one time called Flourish a fertilizer and ran afoul of several state and Federal law(s). You see to be called a fertilizer a substance MUST contain prescribed levels of MACRO nutrients. And Yamato Green doesn't have those levels. In fact it has only 0.8% of K and NO N or P. So it in no way qualifies as a fertilizer except in the imagination of the owner of the company and those who choose NOT to see the truth.

kkentert, I know you mean well. And you have tried Flourish, not a fertilizer, and Yamato Green, not a fertilizer. Your vast sum of ignorance on this subject is blinding. You either need to A) realize this or B) do yourself and the rest of the hobby a favor and try bulk dry nutrients.

If you want help making a solution that you can use in the fancy brainless measuring bottle that your Yamato Green comes in there are many people here, myself included, that would be more than welcome to help you with that.

Brainless is not always best. Brainless may seem to be easier but that doesn't cut the mustard.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I want to be brainless :icon_idea
Then my head would not hurt.

The biggest issue with an all in one that I can see is the interaction between PO4 and Fe.

So a macro mix and then a micro mix is wiser than an all in one mix.
Dry vs liquid: well namely if you have a smaller tank and want more precise dosing, then powders diluted in liquids work better than small dry weight amounts. I'd rather have a powder, less rot/fungus issues, less spilling, less space/weight/shipping, easy to dose larger tanks etc.

While guideline rules state fertilizers are namely NKP or a significant amount(both are arbitrary human constructs), I look at the plant and from a horticultural perspective, adding ferts is adding ferts, whether it's 0.00006% for Fe or 45 % for Carbon. Both are still essential for plant growth and dosed.
Plants don't care what we call it :wink:

Tropica's bottle has the pre measured volumes also, you can buy these for 1-2$ etc each, or a Yamato bottle that adds about 1 ml etc per pump.

Such bottles are hardly the exclusive domain of any one brand :icon_wink

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
137 Posts
Rex...
As I've said in the past-I'm not arguing your bulk dry nutrients....but this person SPECIFICALLY asked for a liquid. I truely don't understand your aggression about this. Not everyone in the world besides you is a complete moron. We're all on here to DISCUSS options that we have found to work, and I've consistently noticed you take an aggressive tone with people(particularly me when it comes to this topic!). I think we all acknowledge you that you know quite a bit about aquatics, but why is it necessary to tear everyone to shreds for responding to a question with their personal experience? I really don't get it. I mean to say that my "vast some of ignorance is blinding" is just uncalled for. As I said. This person asked for an OVERALL LIQUID, and I replied with my experience-I simply said I like Yamato Green. I even mentioned to lok back at the thread so they could READ YOUR POST AS WELL and make a judgement for themselves. I went out of my way to NOT start up with you again about this, but you still feel the need to attack.

That said, I would LOVE you help at some point to mix up my own fert. for that "fancy bottle" and give it a try - but this person was looking for a one stop fix. I said i like what I use-and left it at that. Is there some reason for the hostility that I'm missing? Since I'm guessing I'll NEVER be able to get a word in edgewise, I'll avoid this little name calling game and NOT post about what works for me again-If someone doesn't try what works for me-Oh well. I was under the impression that forums were for sharing experiences... apparently I was sadly mistaken.

As far as your LEGAL FERTS - I don't care what anyone calls it. If it makes my plants grow like mad, call it whatever you'd like. I won't discuss "nutrients" or "fertilizers" again since my input stirs up far too many emotions.

If anyone wants to know about MY experience and reads this, private message me I'll be happy to share.

But one last time- I suggest people not make it miserable for other people to post in a forum. Forums are for discussion and sharing, not name calling and letting the world know that you know everything and everyone else is just full of sh*t. Not everyone is right, and not everyone is wrong. Results that people have seen on THEIR home-front are not wrong-they're just the experience of one person. Your site (which has good information) is YOUR site-be as abrassive as you want there. I just think it's uncalled for in an open forum. I hope other people agree.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Im not going to get involved with the issue regarding hostility but here is what I have to say. Trace nutrients like Flourish and Yamato Green are great. HOWEVER, science has proven that plants require more than just Trace nutrients. You still need N,P,K. Sure your plants are doing fine now but eventually you're going to see the difference.

Its like you eating nothing but carrots for 5 years straight. Eventually your body will start showing signs of malnutrition from the lack of protein or other necessary vitamins & minerals.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.