The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to start lean dosing on my tank to make the colors of my red plants better.
I have read that you need to have a good rich soil/root tabs in order to lean dose in the water column.
What brand is the best in providing nutrient rich root tabs?

I think that the seachem flourisch tabs or the tropica nutrient caps are a great option but I have never used root tabs in general.
Does anyone of you guys now something about this? Some help or tips would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
A really economical way but somewhat controversial.
I use miracle-gro All Purpose slow release balls. Specifically this - Miracle-Gro® All Purpose Continuous Release Plant Food 1kg (lovethegarden.com)
They have a special coating that makes them last months.

Heres the info

Now, here's the controversy. These are not intended for aquarium use and even have a warning on the back that they are harmful to aquatic life. GULP! But that's because the contents 'is' harmful, but only in high doses. Ammonia (Ammoniacal Nitrogen) being the culprit.

I put them in a dissolvable capsule and then bang them in the substrate when needed. I even set up a couple of my tanks by pouring a layer in before the substrate. My dirt tank specifically has hundreds of these balls in there. Several platys, Ramshorn snails and a Clown pleco all doing swimmingly.
My Blue Dream cherry shrimp tank has loads in too. And they are thriving and breeding, so much for the harmful to aquatic life warning. The special coating makes them only slowly release the nutrients for upto 6 months.

When I have pulled certain plants out of the substrate they always have their roots attached (literally stuck) to these little balls. Plants love them.

That 1Kg pot costs me £5 from amazon. You cant even get 10 aquarium root tabs for that price.

Obviously I cant recommend this method. Because I don't want to be responsible for any issues you have. Much safer to use actual aquarium products, no matter how much more they cost (but really shouldn't. Same nutrients after all). ;) All I will say is that it works for me and has worked for years.

PS I lean dose with this as well. Nothing special. I use TNC lite for that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts