The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am planning on re-doing my turtles 'feeder' tank and I was planning on using miracle grow and then capping it with SafeTSorb but it looks like I can't get that in Australia. Turface 'seems' to be easier to find but I haven't really have a great look for it online. I live in a small rural city in Aus and would probably have to order it online. Does anyone know any good sites that ship to Aus or a list of stores that may have it?

Also, it seems SafeTsorb is prefered? Is this true? Can anyone give any opinions as to which montmorillonite clay they prefer?

Or does anyone else have any options for capping miracle grow? I have sand currently and I don't really like it, for a few different reasons. I like the fact that montmorillonite clay has a high CEC. It makes more sense to have a CEC, I guess.

Any general tips for montmorillonite clay?

And another thing, where do you buy your dry fert ingredients?

There's a few questions there but i'd appreciate if you helped with any, thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the input guys. I have some elodia densa (or something similar), so hopefully I can get that to stay put long enough to get a good hold. I'm still open to other montmorillonite clay options, but I think STS would be the go. Now I just have to find it in Aus! It will probably be a bit of a challenge...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, some great information there! Thanks so much. I've been looking at some cat litter I can get locally. Cat Litter wouldn't be my first choice but it's very simple to get. Another person on a forum recommended it and said it was ok but that's the only info I have really fond on the product. Here are some links: www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/Shop/ProductDetails?Stockcode=95423&name=chandler-cat-litter&search=cat%20litter
www.qldaf.com/forums/general-aquarium-discussion-19/calcified-clay-cat-litter-31775/
www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/44247-Kitty-litter-Attapulgite-clay

So does anyone know anything about attapulgite clay?

Any other current (not discontinued) clays I can look at? There must be a fair few of them because I keep finding alterations of them. Turface, STS, Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil, cat litter, etc.

Plus, it's 1" for both the soil and capping material, right?
I'm planning on using miracle gro, should I add any other fertilizers? Like, clay, sulfate of potash, etc.?

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks once again guys. I understand what you mean when you say it's not perfect. If there was a perfect one, I wouldn't need to be in this forum :)

Thanks for the pics Seattle. I like the look of all the substrates but the STS looks like it has a nice particle size to it. Wish I could get it here, would make things easier. However, the cat litter I mentioned seems to be an ok option too. I may have to test it out. Not sure what the colour of it is though. I'll sift it first and then wash it a lot. That should help, hopefully. We have a new kitten, coincidentally, so it may be worth a try anyway. Even if I just mixed it in a glass of water and had a look at the colour, etc. I saw someone use it in their layer of miracle grow in a video and in a post on a forum. But someone else said they capped with it. I'll have to read the bag too, hopefully that has some answers.

Hmm slate? I thought that would be fairly inert. Didn't know about that. I'll look into it. Might even have to check out the local baseball fields...

I won't be able to do any elaborate tests when I use the clay, so I am hoping it won't change the chemistry of the tank too much. I will have a continual drip system for water changes and the tank will probably cycle like 4 times a week or more (couldn't get a slower dripper), so hopefully the extra water changes negate the litter's high CEC.

Then my next problem is making diy root taps!

All this for a turtle I got when I was young.... :)
After this last year I have learnt so much but it always seems there's another problem around the corner! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts