The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 48" 55g freshwater aquarium that is currently being lit by 2 18" 15w flourescents. I am able to grow low light plants but very slowly. I would like to increase the amount of light in my tank but I am concerned about algae growth. How would you guys suggest I upgrade the lighting. I am more concerned with maintenance than cost.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
If you want to stick with a low tech setup, I'd recommend the Coralife T5NO fixture from www.BigAlsOnline.com. Pretty economical way to go for a new light fixture. It would certainly increase the light you've got now, but not enough that you'd have to add CO2 to the tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the link. The more I research the more I lean towards a high tech setup. Could I do this properly for under $600?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm looking to stay at medium light on a 55 which I figure to be about 100 watts of NO T8 bulbs.

What bulbs are recommended that give a good combination of spectrum for the plants as well as good color balance? I'm figuring on using 3 48" bulbs. Is 10 hours the usual burn time per day?

I understand that for the same wattage, the HO T5 will put you in a high light situation because they are just more intense lighting.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks, I have too many options, that's what makes it so tough. So basically if I get bulbs in the 6500 t0 10K range I'm in good shape but the color will be tough to judge ahead of time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts