The Planted Tank Forum banner

best loach for snails and personality? suggestions?

3389 14
Hey I have a 90G heavily planted with C02 T5HO's and EI dosing and I was wondering what type of Loach you'd recommend in there... I have a huge pond snail infestation that I just let live in there but think it'd be fun to get a loach and let them go nuts in there :)

I just have a bunch of tetra's and a big ole pleco in there.

I'd love to know what type of loach you have in your planted and why its a good one...

Thanks
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had a clown loach that was awesome but by himself he just hid all the time. They need to be in groups and they get fairly large. Since I removed him my snail population is back and I've decided to get a group of y. sidthimunki. They stay really small so they aren't much good on the larger snails but I'm sure they will go to town on the baby's which is fine with me. I don't mind seeing a few snails cruising around.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow those are great and they look cool too...

Anyone have Zebra Loaches? how are they?

Clown loaches look really cute too, when they're small, but 16 inches? wow thats huge..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a Clown Loach to take care of pond-snail infestation and thought he'd be a good addition to keep the numbers in check. About a month later, he had cleaned up the entire tank and would often go to the LFS to retrieve more to help regain the population. It is definately a good solution to get rid of them, and quite entertaining to watch him hunt, but there's going to be a bunch of empty shells laying around...

·
Registered
767 Posts
hey all
i have a Botia Kubotai
and he is tearing up me hc:mad::mad::mad:
i never knew he did this till i added him in 2 days ago to my new tank
now my hrs work of planting hc is floating around :icon_roll
i used to own a zebra loach and he was very peaceful
hope he wont dig up anything if i find one

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've had my clown loach for 2 years? and he hasn't grown much, but he does eat the snails. He hides all day because clown loaches are nocturnal and shy. I bought him small because they are cheaper that way.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had Dojo's (weather Loach) in the past. I never had them in a planted tank, as I have yet to have a planted tank. But they are one of my favorite fish to keep! Their really fun and active, and get pretty big! I've never had a snail problem, but I did keep him in a tank with an Apple Snail (the size of a baseball), and he tried attacking it, so I would assume he'll eat your snails. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.