The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of the following lights would be good for my 125g heavily planted tank? Im looking fo something I could also use as a reef tank later.As I might one day change it to one as Im the only one in the house out of 3 people with a freshwater tank. Im looking for a good product with good results not a cheap way out.

AQUARIUM HIGH COMPACT LIGHT 72" JEBO 384 WATT W/FANS

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-HIGH-C...ryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ODYSSEA 72" 384W Aquarium Power compact light+4 Lunar

http://cgi.ebay.com/ODYSSEA-72-384W...ryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Current USA 72" Orbit 6x96w 24-hour lighing system

http://cgi.ebay.com/Current-USA-72-...ryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or I can get a 72" Metal Halide for $500something

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Either way, forget the Jebo or Odyssea. Awful quality.

The Current fixture is a good choice. But, alas, the hobby trend seems to be favoring T5 now.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So a 6' MH would be best? That was the thing I planned on buying but I was just checking.
For now the tank is going to be a planted freshwater but I do love my mom's 20g coral tank. So who knows maybe one day ill decide for a change. but not yet. But I decided to think AHEAD instead of for the time being

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Some stunning tanks use MH. That said, they use more power and cost more. Some big tank owners love the point source ripple affect the MH give. But the best (IMO) is a combo with either T5 or power compact flourescents for the early/late part of the day with a midday blast of MH for four to five + hours.

Caveat, I've seen these lights, but never owned one.

Want to save some money and greenhouse gas: Go straight T5.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
So a 6' MH would be best? That was the thing I planned on buying but I was just checking.
For now the tank is going to be a planted freshwater but I do love my mom's 20g coral tank. So who knows maybe one day ill decide for a change. but not yet. But I decided to think AHEAD instead of for the time being
Some stunning tanks use MH. That said, they use more power and cost more. Some big tank owners love the point source ripple affect the MH give. But the best (IMO) is a combo with either T5 or power compact flourescents for the early/late part of the day with a midday blast of MH for four to five + hours.

Caveat, I've seen these lights, but never owned one.

Want to save some money and greenhouse gas: Go straight T5.
For a planted tank, I agree with Betowess and I'd go with T5 lighting with supplemental MH lighting.

However, for a reef, you're going to want to go MH with PC/T5s as actinics. I haven't been in the SW hobby all that long, but I started with PC/T5 lighting and now all my tanks are MH lighting with PC actinic supplementation. 14KK to 20KK MHs will get your colors to *pop* insanely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts