The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a reboot of another thread that was on here, but it is a few years old and I know a lot can change lighting wise in that time. I have a 135G aquarium and the dimensions are 72"L x 18"W x 24"D. I have been using a BeamsWork DA FSPEC LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater 72" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFF07EC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for the last year or so and it just doesn't seem to be getting enough light to the bottom of the tank for my stem plants. I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for lights that do better at getting light to the bottom of the tank (I am eventually wanting to level up my plants as I continue getting experience). The ones I am currently considering are:
  • Getting a second BeamsWork
  • Kessil Sun 360x or 360WE (I'm not sure which would be better)
  • SBReefLights SBOX PRO 32" (TIMER) FRESH WATER PLANT (2x)
  • Orphek Atlantik V4
Do people have any input on these options? Any others I should consider?

I am also wondering if any of these options are able to be used on both reef and freshwater aquariums since at some point I may be up for learning saltwater and with these being so expensive I thought it would be nice if I could use the same ones. I know those two require different lighting, but didn't know if there were ones that are made with both settings/ranges.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
404 Posts
I would just get rid of the BeamsWork. I had one and got a Fluval 3.0 on a 75g, also close to the same depth. Works much better. But your other three look crazy. As in why is BeamsWork on this list!? lol.

The last two look like they'll be good for Reef, but the Kessils should be good too. Personally, I think I would do two of the SBReeflights. To me, looks like the best coverage and light/color adjustments for your personal preference or what you're trying for. However, I haven't ever looked into lights of this caliber, so there may be others out there. Others I'm sure will chime in.

I just read in another post that doubling up BeamsWork worked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would just get rid of the BeamsWork. I had one and got a Fluval 3.0 on a 75g, also close to the same depth. Works much better. But your other three look crazy. As in why is BeamsWork on this list!? lol.

The last two look like they'll be good for Reef, but the Kessils should be good too. Personally, I think I would do two of the SBReeflights. To me, looks like the best coverage and light/color adjustments for your personal preference or what you're trying for. However, I haven't ever looked into lights of this caliber, so there may be others out there. Others I'm sure will chime in.
I mostly added that in there because I figured if it would work that would be a cheaper option. The reason all the others are higher caliber is that I just don't want to waste my money on another light that doesn't do it and would rather put all the failed money towards something that will actually work. I've also heard that those are the best at actually penetrating deeply

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
I know this is a reboot of another thread that was on here, but it is a few years old and I know a lot can change lighting wise in that time. I have a 135G aquarium and the dimensions are 72"L x 18"W x 24"D. I have been using a BeamsWork DA FSPEC LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater 72" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFF07EC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for the last year or so and it just doesn't seem to be getting enough light to the bottom of the tank for my stem plants. I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for lights that do better at getting light to the bottom of the tank (I am eventually wanting to level up my plants as I continue getting experience). The ones I am currently considering are:
  • Getting a second BeamsWork
  • Kessil Sun 360x or 360WE (I'm not sure which would be better)
  • SBReefLights SBOX PRO 32" (TIMER) FRESH WATER PLANT (2x)
  • Orphek Atlantik V4
Do people have any input on these options? Any others I should consider?

I am also wondering if any of these options are able to be used on both reef and freshwater aquariums since at some point I may be up for learning saltwater and with these being so expensive I thought it would be nice if I could use the same ones. I know those two require different lighting, but didn't know if there were ones that are made with both settings/ranges.
For a light that's " flexable" and cheapish look to Viparspectra and asst. " Chinese black boxes" and do the opposite of reefers.
100% "white" channel..a little blue
I'd suggest about 3.
You normally hang them though. Not sure if that is an issue for you.
90 degree lenses push a lot of light deep.
Manual dimming on the cheaper ones.
You can add a cheap programmer to the beamswork for sort of sunset sunrise
Put the black boxes on timers.

2 72" "should" push enough par to 24" for most plants.

Next step up you are looking at like a grand for cadillac lighting ( e.g 4 ai prime fw plus mounts, might get away w/. 3) and won't really be " reef ready " though that is arguable based on what you want it to look like.

There is one other option..(well sure there are more)
EVO Quad 72 6500K LED Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant 96x 3W Free 2x Timers
3 ratings
$349.00
Includes 96 LEDs
13000 Lumen
3 watt LEDs

States free timers but ????
Sellers been highly regarded for years though.

The 6500 k color is a little flat looking for most .
Pushes lots of par but a bit inefficient by current standards
Easy to diy out diodes though (usually)
There is a reef version considerably cooler in color.

·
Registered
276 Posts
FYI, the Beamswork lights loose about 1/4 of brightness in their first year. I had two on my 75G and got rid of them after one year, waste of time and money. I am now running two 100W flood lights and can't be happier.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
For a large deep tank good old T5HO is the option of choice for many of the best plant growers in the world.

Even coverage, great penetration at depth, and excellent color. And the best part is they just flat out grow plants.
Purple Rectangle Automotive lighting Pink Violet

Long live T5HO!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI, the Beamswork lights loose about 1/4 of brightness in their first year. I had two on my 75G and got rid of them after one year, waste of time and money. I am now running two 100W flood lights and can't be happier.
I've seen a lot about floodlights on here. Are there any particular types that I should look at? Should they have the ability to change colors? Any particular brands you like?

For a large deep tank good old T5HO is the option of choice for many of the best plant growers in the world.

Even coverage, great penetration at depth, and excellent color. And the best part is they just flat out grow plants. View attachment 1032933

Long live T5HO!
I did some initial research into these and I am intrigued. In your picture you have multiple different colors. Are there colors I should have for freshwater plants if I go this route? These are LED, right, so they aren't big energy sinks and don't get really hot?

·
Registered
12,680 Posts
I did some initial research into these and I am intrigued. In your picture you have multiple different colors. Are there colors I should have for freshwater plants if I go this route? These are LED, right, so they aren't big energy sinks and don't get really hot?
No those are fluorescent tubes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is one other option..(well sure there are more)
EVO Quad 72 6500K LED Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant 96x 3W Free 2x Timers
3 ratings
$349.00
Includes 96 LEDs
13000 Lumen
3 watt LEDs

States free timers but ????
Sellers been highly regarded for years though.

The 6500 k color is a little flat looking for most .
Pushes lots of par but a bit inefficient by current standards
Easy to diy out diodes though (usually)
There is a reef version considerably cooler in color.
Do you think I'd need two of the EVO Quads if I went that route?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Look for Novostella brand 6500k, the RGB version will make the colors in your tank look brighter.
I hope you can help here.... That pulls up a whole tone of options at various prices and I can't quite tell the difference between them. What are the differences between these and which would you recommend?

Sweet! Thank you so much!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts