The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I love the look of the Chihiros RGB lights I have a closed top aquarium and cant have them hanging or standing on the tank so I am looking for the best lighting for a 200L tank to bring out the brightest reds and greens under the closed lid... I currently have the JBL natur lights but they are only white and the reds dont come out as much..

What do yiu guys suggest?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
As much as I love the look of the Chihiros RGB lights I have a closed top aquarium and cant have them hanging or standing on the tank so I am looking for the best lighting for a 200L tank to bring out the brightest reds and greens under the closed lid... I currently have the JBL natur lights but they are only white and the reds dont come out as much..

What do yiu guys suggest?
Trying to get red plants to turn more red is tricky. You need co2 injection, the right fertilizer (frequently lean), and the right amount of light as well. Plus consider that many of the pictures and video you see online of super red plants have probably been edited for saturation.

That said, if you want to change up the lights inside a lid you either need to just pick a different correct sized bulb (if its using bulbs) or you can use LED strip lights and stick them to the inside of the lid.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I do have Co2 and I have good ferts. The only thing is that my lights are just white LEDs Which are the JBL Natur. They are very good lights but they lack the red and green spectrum... So the plants in the aquarium are red but not that nice bright red the Chihiros lights have

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Looks to be 2-3 inches, closer to 2 inches.

You'll have to do some research on fixtures that can fit into your hood, and that will give you the PAR you need to make red plants more red, plus offer some colour in the spectrum to show off these reds.

Slim, high powered LED's can work.

Look into the Fluval Planted 3.0 light. It's slim and offers custom colours.

Some DIY T5-HO bulbs could also work - look into Sunblaster fixtures. Then you can easily add a bunch of red using a pink flora style bulb, or even a very red bulb. Add a second fixture with a blue bulb, or a cool white bulb to boost PAR and that should really help brighten up red plants.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
250 Posts
I put in a Fluval Aquasky 2.0 in my hood. was able to pull out the bulb section and this fit inside. It's similar to the Fluval Planted 3.0 mentioned above. about 2/3 or 1/2 the price depending where you look to the 3.0. I have them both. I like them both very much. You get that much more control in the color with the 3.0. can get it to actually look a little resin is in the water when it's not because it has a cool blue and a warm white option that the 2.0 doesn't have.

Both are app controlled and both are some of the high wattage LED lights you can find. From what I've seen some of the better PAR ratings for LED as well. They tend to be a little more because of these two features though. But they have adjustable RGB so you can get what you're looking for pretty easily and they both have fully settable and built in timers/schedules.

As mentioned I have both the Aquasky 2.0 and planted 3.0. Both I have running on top of my lidded tanks. They just shine through the glass! I do have to clean the algae off them a few times a year. but it keeps my equipment clean.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The middle part is an led light but I dont use it.. would adding led strips work? Would those all in one red green and blue ones work?

I put in a Fluval Aquasky 2.0 in my hood. was able to pull out the bulb section and this fit inside. It's similar to the Fluval Planted 3.0 mentioned above. about 2/3 or 1/2 the price depending where you look to the 3.0. I have them both. I like them both very much. You get that much more control in the color with the 3.0. can get it to actually look a little resin is in the water when it's not because it has a cool blue and a warm white option that the 2.0 doesn't have.

Both are app controlled and both are some of the high wattage LED lights you can find. From what I've seen some of the better PAR ratings for LED as well. They tend to be a little more because of these two features though. But they have adjustable RGB so you can get what you're looking for pretty easily and they both have fully settable and built in timers/schedules.

As mentioned I have both the Aquasky 2.0 and planted 3.0. Both I have running on top of my lidded tanks. They just shine through the glass! I do have to clean the algae off them a few times a year. but it keeps my equipment clean.
Do you have photos of the setup and photos of the plants?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Curious to see your setup @Aaronious I would like to add LED strips to get more red and green out of my plants
So I'm at work. I will post some today when I get home. Don't have current photos. Get ready, it's gonna be pretty in depth. lol.

So I'm at work. I will post some today when I get home. Don't have current photos. Get ready, it's gonna be pretty in depth. lol.
Okay, First is my first tank. This is a 75 gallon with a Fluval 3.0. I literally just hung this up last night and I think that I will need to up the lighting a little. But these first two photos are this tank and the settings I use.

This next one is the my 30 gallon with Fluval Aquasky 2.0. This one is new to me and I am still playing with the lighting a little. I just brought it down 10% to see how the plants like it. I think it will have to come back up at least 5%. anyway, this one is more basic. The way this one is sitting on the glass portion of my lid is how the 75 was until last night. I did get a smaller AquaSky 2.0 cause it was cheap on ebay when I was looking for this one. But that one I noticed is more green when I play with the RGB settings. so the different sizes at least are different, could just be each one is a little different from the next.

Anyway, that's those. Let me know if you have other questions or anything. Happy to help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the update! Sorry I thought you did a DIY led srtips as additional lighting

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have a 125g glass lid tank that has only the rear half space available for tank top strip lights. Short of hanging lights above the tank, I tied submersible LEDs with fish line inside the tank to drilled holes in front, side, back and middle rims. Submersible LED tubes for aquarium are available from eBay and Marineland but the intensity is lower so count on them to supplement the main lights and to broaden the footprint.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
well. I have ideas for that too. I'll post a couple photos. You'll see what I meant when I post it.
Damnit, long Mother's Day weekend. I'll get this. I found these cheap LED lights for growing plants. Been thinking about using them light up some tanks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a 125g glass lid tank that has only the rear half space available for tank top strip lights. Short of hanging lights above the tank, I tied submersible LEDs with fish line inside the tank to drilled holes in front, side, back and middle rims. Submersible LED tubes for aquarium are available from eBay and Marineland but the intensity is lower so count on them to supplement the main lights and to broaden the footprint.
Yeah, I tried this as well. The amount of light they put off.... I would just recommend a differnet solution. But I have this going in some 10g tanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts